This change has also inspired some wardrobe changes as I've been transitioning my closet from winter to spring. I've been combining my more sophisticated, classic, and structured wintery pieces with my breezy, colorful and playful spring and summer pieces, creating combinations that strike a balance between sophisticated and whimsy inspired by the perfect balance between the rich musky smell and incredibly fresh and playful scents of Marc Jacob's perfumes.
This combination -- sophisticated and whimsy -- is a really fun and unexpected combination for spring, so let's talk about achieving that look. Try these six tips for striking the perfect balance between these two styles!
1. ADD WHIMSY WITH LIGHT OR BRIGHT COLORS
- I used mint, but any pastel or neon color palette instantly adds a bit of whimsy and fun to your outfit!
2. ADD SOPHISTICATION WITH CLASSIC SHAPES
- An knee length A-line skirt is the epitome of classic. Even if it's in a fun print or bright color, the classic shape adds an element of sophistication.
3. ADD WHIMSY WITH AN UNEXPECTED NAIL COLOR
- White nails are an unexpected and trendy choice this spring. I'd been a little nervous about trying them, since I usually go for more classic colors, but my husband specifically commented on how much he liked them which gave me the boost of confidence I needed to rock them. It adds a youthful and whimsical touch to any outfit!
4. ADD SOPHISTICATION WITH A FEMININE FLORAL PRINT
- Feminine florals are so sophisticated, and so on-trend right now!
5. ADD WHIMSY WITH A FLOPPY HAT
- Isn't a big floppy hat just the perfect way to add some whimsy to a sophisticated outfit? I love that it's a little big glamorous, but casual and summery at the same time!
6. ADD SOPHISTICATION WITH A CLASSIC SHOE
- Since I was playing with color and prints, and adding a lot of whimsical touches, I stuck with a classic shoe. A nude ankle strap pump is so feminine and sophisticated, but a classic pump or wedge would be a great choice too!
Using these tips, I created this pretty and playful outfit, inspired by my Marc Jacobs perfumes!
photos by sara walk
skirt: c/o boden
shoes: LC Lauren Conrad
Also, see more whimsical Daisy-inspired style here!
This is a collaboration between Marc Jacobs and the AOL Lifestyle Contributor Network. Compensation was provided by Marc Jacobs via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Marc Jacobs.