When we first moved to Huntington Beach I was the worlds worst beach mom. No, seriously. The first time we went down to the beach with some new friends I was so completely unprepared it was comical. I wore a t-shirt and a maxi skirt, only to arrive and realize every other mom was in her bathing suit, I didn't bring a lunch, I had one towel, no extra clothing...I didn't even bring sunscreen. All the other moms had their beach chairs, a umbrellas, giant vats of baby powder, extra towels, extra sunscreen, and perfect little satchels of snacks. You guys, I was so completely clueless.
To make matters worse, my child was the only one to fall in the waves, so after diving in after him I was completely soaked, making my maxi skirt stretch out so drastically it could have fit nicely on Michael Jordan. I walked home from the beach that day in a t-shirt and a (borrowed) towel, with my maxi skirt draped over the stroller, which periodically slipped off and got caught in the stroller wheels. I was starving, exhausted, and embarrassed.
Now a year and a half later, I'm happy to consider myself a pretty adept beach mom.
These are three of our beach essentials that have made a huge difference in our beach experience:
1. Baby Powder
- That first trip to the beach elicited some crazy stares when I asked why everyone had baby powder. Well it turns out I was the crazy one, cause that stuff is brilliant. Dust some on to your wet sandy children, rub it around, and almost instantly all the water is sucked out of the sand and it just falls off. Now I too carry around a giant vat of it.
2. Folding Backpack Beach Chair
- We picked up two of these chairs shortly after the first beach day fiasco, and I can't live without them. They fold up into a backpack so I can carry them hands free, they have a big pouch on the back to carry all the (sandy) beach toys to and from the beach, and they're surprisingly comfortable.
- I don't know what it is about the beach, but the moment we get down there we are all starving -- even me. Even if we've just had breakfast. I can't explain it. So I've learned to always have a bag of snacks on hand. NatureBox sent us one of their monthly snack boxes and they were absolutely perfect for a day at the beach. Their individual packages were so easy to throw in the beach bag, great for my kids to sit on the beach towel and munch on, they're healthy (made completely of wholesome and unprocessed ingredients), and they're super delicious. Unless you're my baby, who ate nearly the entire bag of Cherry Berry Bonanza by himself, the bags are all full size and have 3-5 servings in them so they last for more than one beach trip. They have 3 different Box options -- Deluxe Snacker (5 bags for $19.95), Happy Snacker (10 bags for $29.95), and Smart Snacker (20 bags for $49.95), and you get to choose your snacks each month so you can try all different kinds! Our favorites were the Cherry Berry Bonanza, Everything Bagel Stix, and the Dark Cocoa Almonds. I'm drooling even thinking about them.
If that face doesn't convince you that you need to try these snacks, I don't know what will.
Today NatureBox is generously giving away 2 six-month Deluxe Snacker subscriptions to 2 lucky readers so you can have some delicious snackies for the beach this summer (or the park, or school, or hidden away in your bedroom so you don't have to share with your children -- I won't judge)!
- Visit NatureBox and browse their amazing collection of snacks, then come back here and leave a comment telling me which snack you want to try the most! You must include your email address in your comment to win!
this giveaway is open to US readers only
And if you can't wait, get 50% off your first box of any size with code MERRICK (valid only on first month's box, and only for new customers)!