Ten things I’m doing right now to stay happy and grounded right now while things are crazy.
Are you making your own sunshine right now?
I’ve talked about it before, but I’m a firm believer in “making your own sunshine.” It’s the idea that no one controls your happiness except YOU, and if you want to feel and stay happy, then you have to take initiative to fill your life with happy things.
It seems like the end is in sight for quarantine, but we’re still not quite back to normal and probably won’t be for a long time. And the last few months have been heavy and heard. I’m sure they have been for you too.
So these are 10 things I’m doing to make my own sunshine and fill my life with happiness. Because I can be happy despite the circumstances…and you can too!
10 things I’m doing everyday to feel happy
1. Write a gratitude list everyday
- I’ve never been great at doing this consistently, but I’ve made a really big effort to do it first thing in the morning every day. I try not to repeat things, and it’s made me get creative and think about all the good things I really do have in my life. Try it!
2. Read to my boys every night
- When the days are heavy or chaotic, ending the evening surrounded by my little boys, reading aloud to them while they color or build with LEGO is somehow so therapeutic for me. It’s a calm way to end their day and mine. We just finished reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and now we’re on to The Horse and His Boy. We’re loving it!
- Check out our favorite read-aloud books HERE!
3. Work in the garden
- We just recently put in our garden, and it’s so comforting to go outside and see my little plants thriving. The boys love to put on their boots and come out with me to water the little vegetable plants, and then we usually end up running through the sprinklers. Even if you don’t have a garden, buy a pot of flowers, or plant some seeds. It’s so fun to have a little plant and to take care of it!
4. Family dinner every night
- We’ve always had family dinner basically every night, but now that we’re quarantined, it feels more important than every to gather together at the end of the day and just hang out and eat. We’re supporting our local places by doing takeout every Saturday, but besides that I’m cooking a ton.
5. Bake more often
- Quarantine has been the season of baking! We have been making biscuits, cookies, homemade poptarts, cinnamon buns, and so much more. It’s been a great way to involve my kids in the kitchen and they’re learning and loving it too.
6. Eat out on the back patio
- The weather is warming up and it’s THE BEST THING EVER to sit out on the back patio while the sun is setting and eat our dinner together. After we’re done eating the boys run to the play set and swing and slide while Philip and I sit and chat, and it’s amazing. Even if you don’t have a back patio, try a picnic. It’s just fun to mix things up and eat outside.
7. Exercise in some way everyday
- There is something about exercise that majorly clears my head. So I make a huge effort to get exercise in every day. I’ve been running, lifting weights at home, doing high fitness, and taking walks with the family. It’s just important to be outside and move my body!
- I shared 3 AT HOME WORKOUTS I’m loving right now!
8. Call, Marco Polo, or text my friends or family everyday.
- I can’t say enough good things about connection. It’s what we all need right now! Marco Polo-ing with my friends (if you don’t have that app, download it — it’s like video texting!), talking to my parents on the Facebook Portal (I have a review of this cool product here!), or texting my sisters or friends is invaluable. Make the effort!
9. Listen to good podcasts or audiobooks
- I love audiobooks and podcasts anyway, but right now they’re especially valuable for me. They’re helping me get my head in the right space, work on my goals, and feel motivated. I have a post about some of my favorite podcasts to listen to RIGHT HERE.
10. Get physically close to my boys
- My love language isn’t even physical touch, but there’s something some calming about getting physically close to my boys. Just sitting on the couch right next to them, holding them, snuggling them, playing with their hair or tickling their back, or holding their hand, all help ground me like nothing else can.
Tell me what you’re doing to feel happy right now!