I’ve never been very good at working out consistently, but just a few months ago I finally got onto the podcasts bandwagon and it has changed my life!
Listening to music has always been so boring for me while I exercise, and while I love to listen to audiobooks while I sew or drive, they’re often a little too slow and drawn out for workouts.
A quick, 30-40 minute listen that gets to the point and teaches me something new is exactly what my brain needed, and since I started, I’ve been hooked. I actually enjoy working out, if only for the podcasts!
Today I want to share five of my favorites that I’ve been listening to for the past few weeks and months. I’ve tried a few others besides these five that people have recommended and haven’t loved them for one reason or another. But these are all major winners.
- Awesome With Alison. Hers was the first podcast I ever listened to, and it set the bar very high for all future podcasts. I’ve followed her for a few years on social media, so I knew her sense of humor and her story, but I was totally surprised by deep and insightful her episodes are (while still being really fun). She is the biggest reason for my complete change in schedule and priorities, because her insights are so motivating. I have laughed out loud, cried, and verbally said “amen,” multiple times while listening to her podcasts.
- Revisionist History by Malcolm Gladwell. I’ve read a bunch of Malcolm Gladwell’s books and found them so fascinating, so when I discovered he had a podcast I was instantly sold. He explores all sorts of subjects, from public school systems, to women in government, to basketball player’s egos. He shares insights, ideas, questions, and bigger pictures in the most understandable and thought provoking way. Also I adore his voice. I’m only a few episodes in, but I’ve loved every single one I’ve listened to.
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin. My mom is a huge Gretchen Rubin fan and has talked about her for years. Because of her raving reviews, I decided to give her podcast a listen, and I was surprised how much I instantly loved it. She and her sister do the podcast together, and they share ideas, tips, and simple examples of ways to make your life happier. I’m all about little, d0able changes, and that’s exactly what they offer. I also love their funny stories they share about their missteps and triumphs. Their tips have improved my life in many tiny ways!
- Super Soul Conversations with Oprah. This is the audio version of Oprah’s Super Soul Sunday show, and she interviews various people who have soulful experiences and insights as they’ve found their purpose and direction through their life circumstances. I’ve been listening to it non-stop the last week. So much insight, so many incredible stories, so many “aha moments” for me. This podcast is a MUST LISTEN. If you start at the beginning with Brene Brown’s two episodes, your life will be changed!!
- How I Built This with Guy Roz. These are interviews with entrepreneurs who have made it, but all started from nothing and built their company or brand from the ground up. I started with Kate Spade’s episode and was instantly hooked. The stories are so inspiring and motivating as you hear how these people persevered and built their own empires.
A few other questions I’ve received:
How do I listen to podcasts? All iPhones come with a podcast app. It’s purple with a little soundwave symbol. Go into the app and search these titles and they’ll come right up. You can subscribe so you get updates when new episodes come out, but you don’t have to. Also you can download the episodes to your phone so you can listen to them without using data. I always do this if I’m going to go running outside, or be in my car and not connected to wi-fi.
What headphones do you recommend? I use the BackBeat Fit ones from Plantronics. They sent them to me to try and I love them. They’re super comfortable in my ears, which is always my biggest struggle with headphones. And although I there was a little bit of a learning curve putting them in, I highly recommend them. They’re a little pricey, but you can find them for cheaper on Amazon or at Plantronic’s outlet store.
If you have any other questions, or any great podcast recommendations, leave them in the comments below!