Our Facebook Portal is our most used device right now while we’re in isolation. This Facebook Portal review shares how we use it, the games and activities my parents do over it with my kids, and a discount code to get $50 off!
A Facebook Portal review
I’ve been sharing a lot lately on Instagram stories about our Facebook Portal. Lots of you have asked about it, so I wanted to do a quick Facebook Portal review to show you how we use it and why it’s a great thing to have in your home during quarantine and beyond.
What is the Facebook Portal?
If you’re not familiar with the Facebook Portal, don’t worry — I wasn’t about three months ago until my parents bought us one for Christmas.
- It’s a smart display device that Facebook developed in 2018. It comes in a few sizes, but ours is about the size of a standard iPad and stands upright on our counter. (Ours is an older version, but this is the newest version HERE).
- It has a large screen that allows you to video chat with anyone through your Facebook or WhatsApp accounts.
- The biggest feature of the Facebook Portal is that it has a “Smart Camera” that tracks your movements and zooms in and out depending on where you’re standing in the screen. So you can walk around the room and it will follow you as you move and speak, or zoom out if multiple people are in the screen.
Other features we love on the Facebook Portal:
- Of course VIDEO CHAT is the thing we use it for the most.
- BROWSER! I love that it has a built in browser so I can use it for recipes in the kitchen as I cook.
- STORY TIME. My kids love this feature. It has a whole library of fun interactive books that put you in place of some of the characters. You can also do this feature over video chat so Grandma can read a story to the grandkids over video chat in a fun and interactive way.
- ALEXA. I love that the Portal has an Alexa built in so we can ask her questions, have her set a timer, get news updates, and more.
- MUSIC AND PODCASTS. We listen to podcasts during lunch over the Portal, and play music constantly. My boys love that it displays the lyrics so they can sing along!
We host a family church meeting on the Portal every Sunday
Since all the churches are closed right now, we have been doing a family church meeting each Sunday with my parents and siblings via the Facebook Portal.
I’m not sure how many people you can have on one call at a time, but we’ve had as many as seven different people call in with no issues at all.
It’s easy to mute our family so everyone can hear, and also you can view everyone on “grid view” or highlight the current family speaking so they’re the largest in view.
This has been an incredible way to connect with our family and host a meeting each week.
If you want to know more about how we set up our family church meeting, I have a saved highlight bubble on my Instagram profile called “Virtual Church.”
Fun games to play virtually on the Facebook Portal
My mom had the idea to play a game with the kids via the Facebook Portal, and now we’ve been coming up with lots of fun games to play over video chat.
These are some fun games you can play via video chat:
- BINGO. My mom has the game at her house with a cage and everything, so she just sent pictures of a few BINGO cards, we printed them out, and they play over the video chat.
- TABOO. This is my dad’s favorite one to play with the boys right now. On his turn, he tries to get the boys to guess the word on the card. On their turn, he holds the card up to the camera and they try to get him to guess it.
- HOUSE OF FIRE. This is a fun game I learned in high school and only involves a few dice, a piece of paper, and a pencil. I have the instructions saved in an Instagram highlight bubble called “House of Fire.“
- YAHTZEE. You don’t even need to own this game to play this together. Just round up a few dice and print a score sheet off of the internet. Just google “Yahtzee score sheet” and you’ll find a ton of printable options.
- CHARADES. We’ve downloaded a few charades apps over the last few years, and they’re our favorite to play in line at Disneyland or while we wait for a meal at a restaurant. They’re the kind where you place the phone on your forehead and everyone tries to get you to guess the word on the screen. It’s a great one to play virtually! Just download the same app (our favorites are “Heads Up! Kids” and “Charades! Kids“) and then quiz each other. Or you could get a card game version like this.
If you can think of any other fun games you could play virtually, leave a comment!
My mom reads to my boys everyday over the portal
My mom read aloud to my siblings and me every day my whole life, and just the other day she offered to start reading to my boys.
At 5pm every night while I’m making dinner, the boys bring the Portal up to the playroom and they draw or build with LEGOs while she reads aloud to them from her kitchen table.
She’s currently reading Eragon, a fun fantasy series about dragons, and my boys look forward to this time every single night now!
If you’re looking for a way to get your parents to connect with your kids right now (or vice versa), this is a great suggestion. Pick a good novel and everyone will enjoy themselves.
Facebook Portals are buy one, get one $50 off.
Of course all of these things are available through other devices, but if you’re interested in getting a Facebook Portal, they have a deal where you buy one and get a second one $50 off. So you could grab one for you and one for your parents!
(There’s no charge to have them ship to two separate places).
Check them out RIGHT HERE.
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS
Educational things to do at home with kids
Family update: how the boys are handling isolation
Cute, comfy outfits for staying at home
photos by Aubrey Stock
Great Article. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Extremely helpful info particularly. I hope more from you. I was looking for this certain information. 🙂
Hello. Quite interesting post. But I can also add that if you often use internet and social networks you should pay attention on your security. There are many different malware which can affect on your OS and files. To avoid such problems, you should install antivirus. For example take a look on Norton for Mac reviews https://antivirus-review.com/norton-antivirus-review it is my favorite app!
Thank you very much for your review, it was helpful. Many games are very cool, and I think that this is useful entertainment for children. Also, in the summer, we enrolled our children in music school, and we are thinking of continuing this activity online
[…] info from any type of virus. As you don’t have the protection of antivirus program on your Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine Mac you could find yourself in big […]
[…] event of the virus outbreak. You do not know the moment one is gonna strike and you simply could be Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine stuck with no important info on your computer. This software may help you recover documents and […]
[…] on a daily basis. It doesn’t have long in diagnosing the data on your harddisk and discover Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine any viruses or perhaps malware which might be trying to get access to your […]
[…] of an virus outbreak. You never know when ever one is likely to strike and you simply could be Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine stuck with no important data on your computer. This software will help you recover documents and […]
[…] your Mac with antivirus computer software. Just surfing the Internet devoid of antivirus protection Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine is requesting trouble. You could have all sorts of malevolent files make an effort to infect your […]
[…] force Management Software to control a number of other business tasks that affect your company. Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine The application solutions are created to perform this sort of tasks as benefits libraries, work […]
[…] how very much to lead to your employees’ plans. Making use of the North America Staff Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine Software will help you take care of your benefits plans effectively and eradicate unnecessary […]
[…] Workforce Management Software to manage a number of other business tasks that affect your business. Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine The technology solutions are created to perform these kinds of tasks for the reason that benefits […]
[…] determine how much to lead to your employees’ plans. Making use of the North America Staff Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine Software will help you control your benefits plans efficiently and remove unnecessary […]
[…] and determine how much to lead to your employees’ plans. Using the North America Workforce Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine Software will help you manage your rewards plans effectively and get rid of unnecessary […]
[…] the answer then is yes. The use of your computer frequently and are an avid Internet customer, then Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine you should consider protecting your Mac with antivirus software program. Just surfing the Internet […]
[…] 6. Facebook Portal Review: Connecting During Quarantine … […]