Are you bored of your closet? I’ve got a few easy tips to help you refresh your wardrobe without buying anything new! It just takes a little creativity and a bit of effort. Give these a try.
Need a wardrobe refresh? I’ve got some easy tips!
The start of a new school year is basically the same as January for me. It feels like New Years!
So that means I’m in the mood for a closet refresh. And although I love picking up some new things, sometimes all you need is a new outlook to make your closet feel refreshed!
SIMILAR STRIPED TEE | SIMILAR GREEN SWEATER | SIMILAR JEANS | SIMILAR BOOTS | MADEWELL TOTE BAG
6 ways to refresh your closet without buying anything
1. Wear a piece in a new way.
This is such an easy way to bring new life to a piece. Here are some easy ideas:
- Try a bandana around your neck or as a belt.
- Put a top over a dress so the dress looks like a skirt
- Put a skirt over a dress so it looks like a top
- Wear a t-shirt around your waist
- Try a jacket completely zipped or buttoned and worn as a top
Get creative and make the most out of your closet!
2. Wear an unexpected pair of shoes.
- Wear a pair of sneakers with a dress.
- Dress up your sweatshirt and jeans with some stilettos for date night.
- Roll up your boyfriend jeans and wear them with tall ankle boots.
- Wear bright white sneakers with a dark, neutral outfit.
- Add a splash of color with some bright flats.
There are endless possibilities — you won’t know how good it could look until you try it! (And keep in mind, some shoe options might not work, but they’re worth trying. Almost every day I stand in front of the mirror with two different shoes on and lift one foot, then the other, trying to decide between two pairs. You might find your new favorite outfit this way!)
3. Add a layer.
- When you’re bored of a top, make it fresh with a new layer!
- Throw a striped tee under a sweater so the hem or sleeves are peeking out, like this.
- Layer a collared shirt under a tee.
- Wear an unbuttoned shirt over a tee and then layer a jacket over both of them.
- Layer with a scarf like this.
- Tie a shirt around your waist.
- Layer two tees together, like this.
- Button a jacket over a shirt, like I did here.
- Add a belt with a dress or top
4. Try a new color combination.
This is one of my favorites. I always create my favorite outfits when I experiment with new color combos.
- Try a monochromatic look like this one.
- Or try a bold solid black and white combo.
- Or maybe rich hues paired together, like this?
Look through your closet and find two things you’ve never paired together before. It’s fun to do it with a skirt and a top, a jacket and a blouse, a scarf and a sweater, tights and a skirt, or a hat and a coat. It works with shoes and tops too, but I think it works the best with pieces that are right next to each other or layered on top of each other.
5. Refashion something in your closet
I’ve got a bunch of blog posts with easy ideas to dye, embellish, tailor, chop, or somehow re-work an item in your closet. Check them out right here!
6. Do a clothing swap with friends
Have you ever done one of these before? They’re really fun and simple. Just invite over a bunch of girlfriends and everyone brings a bag of items to swap. It can be anything — shoes, jewelry, jackets, clothing, whatever they want! Then “shop” and chat and hang out. It’s a fun and free girls night!
Any other ideas to refresh your closet? Share in the comments!
Great ideas Merrick! How about…clothing swap with similar sized friends/sisters. Raid your husbands closet for that perfect, oversized slouchy sweater. Accessorize!
Great ideas! Saving for later for inspo!
I think I have all the ingredients for this! lol Boots just delivered today!
I’ve been trying to spend less on clothes and these are such great tips for refreshing your wardrobe! I’ve definitely been trying to style things I already own in new ways, but I also want to try new color combinations. Thanks for sharing!
Cute, comfy and stylish outfit! 🙂
Scarves! I have more than a few scarves in my wardrobe and they’re perfect for changing up the same outfit. I recently splurged and bought six new ones and although three of them have polka dots, they are different to each other. plus I had to have a floral and a quirky cat one too. The forecast for the next few days here in Brisbane is for a heatwave [thanks Summer], so I will be using my new scarf collection to keep the sun off my shoulders outside and keep the aircon off my shoulders inside the office!
I wish I lived in a climate where I could layer clothing and not sweat to death.
[…] favorite fashion blogs. They can help you see the pieces in your closet in a new way. Merrick of Merrick’s Art writes, “I always create my favorite outfits when I experiment with new color combos. Look […]