Trying to figure out how to be more productive during your day? These 5 productivity tips will help you be more focused, no matter what your work is!
I’m always looking for ways to be more productive. As a business owner, mom, wife, and friend, it sometimes can feel like my time is spread too thin. But, these productivity tips have really helped me maintain a good work-life balance and prioritize what’s most important in all areas of my life!
office details RIGHT HERE
5 Productivity Tips
1. Time blocking
- Time blocking is something I’ve been doing for the last couple of years and although the exact blocking and scheduling varies from week to week, it’s a really helpful tool to help me focus and get things done that I need to do. I actually recently purchased a cube timer and setting that timer for a time block forces me to focus and get things done within that time frame. I wrote a whole post about time blocking RIGHT HERE and how exactly I set up my day.
2. Make lists
- I recognize that not everyone is a list maker, so do what’s best for you. But making lists helps me SO much. I’ll make a list either first thing in the morning, or the night before, so I can get everything out of my brain and onto paper. Sometimes I’ll even make the list and then re-write it to organize it and separate it into sections by priority or category (like personal, to-film, to-write, etc). I also really like checking things off my list, so having a physical list is helpful. I used to just use a piece of paper every day, but I found that I needed to hang on to some papers but I didn’t want a giant stack of papers on my desk. So I bought this big spiral bound notebook and now I can flip back through and find notes from meetings or previous lists so I can remember what I needed to work on. It’s been super helpful for me.
3. Set timers
- I mentioned this above, but setting a timer is a really helpful tool for me to stay productive. It works for kids and it definitely works for adults. I can easily get distracted, so setting a timer forces me to focus on the task at hand and get it done in a time frame. I know that going through my inbox won’t take more than 15 minutes, but sometimes I let it take an hour cause I get distracted a million times, so setting a timer and just busting through it helps me stay focused and be productive with my time.
4. Put phone on do not disturb
- If you haven’t used this little setting on your phone, it’s a game changer. It’s called Do Not Disturb, and it basically silences your texts and notifications until you turn it off. When I’m in meetings or have deadlines or just need to stay focused in the mornings or during work hours, I put my phone on Do Not Disturb and it keeps me from getting derailed by texts or notifications that don’t need my attention right then. If you’re not sure how to use this feature, google “your-phone’s-version Do Not Disturb” and you’ll find instructions.
5. Listen to white noise
- This probably should have been my first tip cause it’s honestly the one that works the best for me. If I’m feeling distracted, I pop in my Raycon earbuds and turn on White Noise. I have a White Noise app with all different versions , but you could just pull it up on YouTube if that’s easier for you — they have tons of white noise videos that last for hours. When I have the white noise in, suddenly my brain stops wandering and I can super-focus. Try it!
Do you have any other good productivity tips? I’d love to hear!
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: