Need a quick breakfast idea? This pancake in a mug is a really quick breakfast that I make for my boys most mornings before school.
This pancake in a mug is our go-to quick breakfast!
Our elementary school starts at 7:40am, we live about 15 minutes away form the school, and my boys love to be early to school. So we’re heading out the door before 7:10 every morning, and quick easy breakfast ideas are a must. Our favorite right now is a pancake in a mug.
This is an easy breakfast that is just four ingredients and takes about four minutes total for me to make.
Our favorite pancake mix to use in this recipe
I’m a huge fan of Kodiak Cakes buttermilk mix. It has protein, whole grains, and fiber, and it tastes great. I get a huge box of it from Costco and it lasts for ages.
But we also get seasonal pancake mixes at Trader Joe’s and have used those — anything works! If you have a bunch of Krusteaz or Bisquick mix sitting around, use those.
Our favorite toppings for our pancakes in a mug
When the pancake comes out of the microwave and is nice and hot, I cut an X in the top and slide a little pat of butter inside to melt. Then I top with maple syrup. This is my boys’ topping of choice in the early morning.
But we also love putting chocolate chips or butterscotch chips in the batter for a sweet treat!
Some other topping ideas for your pancake in a mug
- fresh fruit
- berry syrup (I’ve heard great things about Kodiak Cake’s syrups!)
- peanut butter
- yogurt and jam (this is my favorite combo to put on regular pancakes and waffles!)
- powdered sugar
- cinnamon and brown sugar
So many possibilities — get creative!
Pancake in a mug
- 1/3 cup Pancake Mix (we use Kodiak Cakes)
- 1/3 cup milk (works with nut milks too!)
- 1/2 egg (split between two mugs)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 TBSP butter
- syrup or other toppings
- In a microwave proof mug, combine all ingredients. Mix well with a fork. If adding berries or chocolate chips to your batter, do so now, but don't stir. They will fall automatically as it cooks.NOTE: If you're only making one mug pancake, crack your egg in a small container, beat, and then pour half of the egg into the mug and save the rest of your egg for another pancake later.
- Cook in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and cut an X in the top of the pancake. Slip your pat of butter inside to melt.
- Top with syrup or your topping of choice. Serve immediately!