I exercise six days a week and wash my hair once a week. I do it with the help of dry shampoo. Let me show you the best drugstore dry shampoo (plus a few other faves), and some tips for applying your dry shampoo.
Want to know the best drugstore dry shampoo?
Let’s talk about dry shampoo! I wash my hair once a week, but also exercise every day, so I rely on dry shampoo to get me from wash to wash. I want to share the best drugstore dry shampoo, and how I apply it to be most effective.
Why I only wash my hair once a week
I often get asked why I don’t wash my hair very often, and this is the reason: I have so. much. hair.
Washing, blow drying, and straightening my hair takes well over an hour, and air drying takes upward of six hours to really, truly be dry. I couldn’t ever do that on a daily basis.
THIS TOOL is a complete game changer for blow drying your hair. It dries and straightens my hair in less than 20 minutes — I wrote a whole review about it HERE. But also it gets super hot and can damage your hair if you’re using it every day.
So in between washes, I use dry shampoo.
Which is the best drugstore dry shampoo?
The best drugstore dry shampoo is Suave, with the yellow cap. You can find it at Target, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart…all the regular places you shop, and it’s super inexpensive.
This is routine to help me go longer in between washes
What to do with your hair while you exercise:
- When I exercise, pull my hair into a twisted top knot to keep it out of my face as best as I can. I use THESE HAIR TIES and they’re amazing.
- My scalp and the hair around my forehead is always wet when I’m done working out. I let this air dry. Don’t think too much about it.
How do I avoid getting it wet when I shower?
- I know a lot of people use shower caps. I hate shower caps, but I use a velcro HEAD WRAP like this to keep my hair out of the water as much as possible.
How I apply dry shampoo most effectively
The key is to apply it in the right spots. If you just spray it on top and around your head, it won’t really get the most oily sections.
- First, part your hair down the middle and spray parallel along the part. Then do another part one inch down the side of your head and repeat. Then do another part one inch down from that, and so on down the side of your head. Now go back to the middle and part down the other side.
- Once you’re done with the sides and top, flip your hair upside down and spray along your neck.
- Let the dry shampoo sit for a minute or two, then rub through it with your finger tips. Now brush through with a Wet Brush (that’s the brand, don’t actually use a brush that’s wet).
- I repeat this every day after exercising and it works perfectly to help my hair look and feel fresh for the entire week.
How do you go so long between washes?
- You have to “train” your head to produce less oil. If you’re washing your hair daily, you’re stripping your scalp of its natural oils, so it learns to produce more. If you wash less often, your body learns to produce less oils over time. But be patient — it takes time!
- If you currently wash your hair every day, try going to every other day for a couple of weeks (dry shampooing in between), and then go to every three days, etc. It took me about a year to get to a once a week washing system.
Using higher quality shampoo lets you go longer between washes
- This step has made a huge difference in how long I can go in between washes. I switched to Pureology Hydrate Shampoo a few years ago and it has made all the difference for me. It’s a concentrated shampoo, so the price tag is high but it literally lasts me for over a year because I don’t need much (even with a lot of hair). Once I switched, I instantly saw a change in how my hair felt, looked, and lasted.
Other helpful tips for using dry shampoo:
- Apply it before exercising
- Apply at night before you go to bed
- Wear your hair in a high, loose pony tail on top of your head while you sleep
There are other dry shampoos that I love!
The reason I love the Suave dry shampoo so much is because it’s inexpensive and super effective. I go through a bottle of dry shampoo fairly quickly, so the higher priced bottles add up quickly.
But there are several other dry shampoo brands that I love:
- Amika Dry Shampoo
- Dove Dry Shampoo
- Not your Mother’s Dry Shampoo (they also have brunette dry shampoo, but I haven’t tried it)
- Navy Hair Care Dry Shampoo (use code MERRICK for 30% off)
- Living Proof Dry Shampoo
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS: