Trying to add more classic clothing items to your closet? Here are 10 classic pieces you should have in your closet, and shopping options at various price points for each!
Today I want to share 10 closet staples you should have in your closet.
They’re all very versatile, they’ll be items you can wear for years without looking dated, and they’re items you can pair with more trendy or stylized pieces so your outfits feel very you.
10 classic clothing items you should have in your closet
1. Pullover sweater. You choose if it’s v-neck or crew neck, and you choose the color. A neutral color is super versatile, and you can layer over a button up shirt or long sleeve tee, layer over a dress, layer under a blazer or trench, and can wear casually with jeans or with a skirt or dress pants…so many ways to wear it!
2. Nice jeans. You should have at least one pair of classic jeans in your closet. Classic jeans should fit you well, in a style that works for your body type (whatever style you choose), in a dark wash with no rips. If you need help finding a pair that fits, READ THIS POST.
3. Button down shirt. A button down shirt is a classic for men and for women! Choose something that’s simple and versatile, like solid white, classic pin stripe, a basic denim, or even a chic plaid.
4. Trench, dress, or peacoat. A classic coat is a must in your closet! You choose whether a trench coat, dress coat, or peacoat is right for you, and you choose if you get it in tan, navy, white, black, gray, or something else. Any of these are good classic options.
5. White tee. Choose a v-neck, crew neck, or scoop neck, and you can choose a slimmer or more boxy cut. A classic tee is a great layer to wear under a blazer or jacket, with jeans or dress pants, or even with a skirt in the summer time.
6. Striped tee. Stripes are a classic and ageless print, and go with anything and everything. Again, you can choose the style and neckline of the top, length of sleeves, etc. But this is a great layer or just a top that you can wear by itself with jeans, skirts, or pants.
7. Little black dress. I bet you’ve heard that a little black dress is a classic piece for your whole life, and it’s true! It’s a classic piece that you can dress up with heels, dress down with sneakers and a denim jacket, wear with a leather jacket and boot for an edgy look, wear to the office, wear to a funeral, wear to a wedding…it’s versatile and classic for a reason! Look for something that makes you feel amazing and can work in multiple ways for your lifestyle. If that means you choose something long or short or short or long sleeved, or lower or higher neckline, you do what’s right for you!
8. Simple Jacket or Blazer. A blazer is an absolute classic, but blazers aren’t for everyone’s style. If a leather jacket or a denim jacket is more your style, choose that. Again, when you’re shopping for these pieces, think about THESE SIX CLASSIC CHARACTERISTICS and shop accordingly.
9. Basic dress shoes. A simple black or nude pump with an almond or pointed toe is a great choice for a classic dress shoe. If you don’t like or want to wear a heel, choose a wedge or a flat.
10. Sleek sneaker. A simple chic sneaker that’s low cut and versatile is a great option. Lots of sneakers are embellished right now, but a simple white or gray or black or tan sneaker is a great option. Choose something that has a slightly elongated toe and a lower cut side.
As you’re shopping for these items, or deciding if the items if your closet are classic, don’t forget to check out this post that tells some major characteristics of a classic item!
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS