SIMILAR CREAM BLAZER | SIMILAR WHITE BODYSUIT | SIMILAR SKINNY JEANS | SIMILAR LEOPARD MULES | SIMILAR YELLOW ROUND BAG
Do you know how to tell if an item of clothing is classic or not? Here are six simple ways to determine if you’re purchasing classic clothing items.
I talk all the time about building a wardrobe of classic clothing, but how do you know which items are classic?
Today I’ll share six easy things to think about when purchasing clothes to see if your item of clothing is classic or not.
Ask yourself these questions to see if you’re purchasing classic clothing
1. Can you tell that it’s from a certain decade? We call all look at clothing from the 20’s, or the 50’s, or the 70’s, or the 90’s, and immediately know that they’re from that decade. They have certain necklines, prints, embellishments, or silhouettes that are indicative of that era. If you look at an item of clothing and can’t tell which decade it’s from, that’s a good indication that it’s more of a classic item.
2. It is cheaply or well made? Classic clothing should be well made. This doesn’t mean it needs to be expensive necessarily, but fast fashion is definitely not going to have the classic pieces you can hang on to for years.
3. Is the design simple? Classic pieces should be simple, which helps it work for decade after decade. Classic clothing will not be overly long, overly short, super tight, super loose or oversized, and they should be free of embellishments like fringe, bedazzlements, etc.
4. Is it neutral or does it come in a minimal color palette? Classic clothing is most often neutral, which makes it easy to wear with other items, and work for everyone. Some common neutral colors would include tan, gray, navy, black, white, or cream.
5. If it comes in a print, is it a traditional print? Prints can absolutely be classic, but there are definitely some prints that are more classic than others. A few traditional prints might include stripes, polka dots, and plaids.
6. Is it versatile and easy to mix and match with other things? The great thing about classic pieces is that they’re versatile! When you’re dealing with simple design, neutral colors, and a good fit, it can literally be paired with anything. If you start with the basics, you can add more trendy pieces to your outfits to make them fit your style.
On Friday this week I’ll be sharing 10 classic pieces you should have in your closet, with shopping options at all different price points! Don’t forget to check back here for them, or follow along on Instagram!
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Stay-at-Home Capsule Wardrobe
Wearable Wardrobe Guide
- Are Cardigans Still In? Which ones are worth keeping?