Do you or a family member or a friend have a birthday falling during quarantine? These are some fun birthday ideas that you can do to help them have a special day, even without parties or outings.
We have our first isolation birthday celebration coming up
If you, or a family member, or a friend has a birthday that falls during this isolation period, I’ve got some fun birthday ideas ideas that will help you or them have a special birthday.
My oldest son’s birthday is next Sunday and he’s turning the big first double digits — TEN! Not only does his birthday fall on Easter Sunday, but it’s also, of course, during quarantine. This means no party, no dinner at a restaurant, no special experience outing.
There are so many great ways to celebrate birthdays even in isolation
BUT there are still so many special ways to celebrate a birthday while we’re needing to stay home.
I asked you guys on Instagram a few weeks ago and you came through with some incredible ideas.
Fun birthday ideas during quarantine
I’ve put together a whole list of ideas for celebrating a birthday and making it special, despite being quarantined. Some of these ideas work for all ages, so you’ll see duplicates in the list where the apply to different age groups.
Fun birthday ideas for kids
- Arrange a FAMILY AND FRIENDS PARADE. Have all his friends and loved ones drive down the street and wave, honk, throw candy, etc. while the birthday child stays in the driveway.
- GET TAKE-OUT FOR EVERY MEAL FROM THEIR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS. It’s a great way to support local restaurants and make the day feel special for them.
- SERVE THEM BREAKFAST IN BED. This is my family’s favorite birthday tradition and we’ve been doing it since I was a little girl. We always do a cereal that we don’t usually buy (like Reeses’ Puffs or Cinnamon Toast Crunch), but you could do anything!
- If they’re too little for breakfast in bed, MAKE A SPECIAL BREAKFAST with funfetti or chocolate chip pancakes, french toast, crepes, or just a fun cereal at the breakfast table. Don’t forget to put candles in the pancakes!
- Send them on a BIRTHDAY TREASURE HUNT. Write or print clues to send them around the house to arrive at a gift hidden in a secret location.
- Have an AT-HOME CAMP OUT. Set up your tent in the backyard (or in the living room), pull out blankets, sleeping bags, and flashlights, and cook s’mores on the stove!
- Have a PERSONAL PARADE. Decorate your car with balloons and posters, fill a bowl with candy, and then drive by all your child’s friends homes and have them throw candy to their friends (call the friends in advance so they know when you’re coming by).
- If you can’t go to the party place, MAKE YOUR HOME A PARTY PLACE. I got this darling submission from a reader:
- “My oldest turned 5 last week. She had gotten rollerblades as an early birthday gift, so we turned the garage into a skating rink after she went to bed. We covered the lights, put up balloons and streamers and had a skating/dance party!”
- PLAN A VIRTUAL BIRTHDAY PARTY. Set up a fun backdrop with balloons and streamers, and then have your children’s friends FaceTime or Zoom into the party. Play virtual games (Heads Up! might be a fun one), sing Happy Birthday, and turn on some music to have a dance party.
- ASK FRIENDS TO MAKE CARDS AND DROP THEM ON THE DOORSTEP OR MAIL THEM! Any kid will love a big pile of mail on their birthday.
- Go on a BIRTHDAY SCAVENGER HUNT. Have friends make birthday signs and put them in their windows, and you drive around to see how many you can find.
- COVER THEIR DOOR IN WRAPPING PAPER so they meet that fun surprise when they open the door in the morning.
- Make a BALLOON TRAP that comes falling down when they open the door. You can do this with garbage bags and some string!
- Ask their friends, classmates, teachers, and loved ones to FILM THEMSELVES SINGING HAPPY BIRTHDAY or wishing them a happy birthday and then use iMovie to put them all together and surprise them with it on their birthday.
Fun birthday ideas for tweens and teens
- Pay to have their favorite CELEBRITY WISH THEM HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Have you heard of Cameo.com? I just learned about it last year. Tons of celebrities are on there and you can pay their fee to get a personalized video to whomever you’d like. Check it out – it’s actually pretty hilarious.
- MAKE A BUFFET OF ALL THEIR FAVORITE FOODS and serve it for dinner.
- Plan an AT HOME ESCAPE ROOM. I’ve actually never done one, but I’ve heard they’re so fun and it would for sure be memorable!
- Hang up a sheet in the backyard and PLAY AN OUTDOOR MOVIE on a projector. Bring out blankets, buy some movie candy and pop some popcorn, and make a fun night.
- FILL THEIR ENTIRE ROOM WITH HELIUM BALLOONS so when they wake up in the morning their ceiling is covered. You can get a helium tank right here.
- If you were planning a fun day of shopping, pampering, and eating, do the same things at home. DO AT-HOME PEDICURES AND FACE MASKS, GO ONLINE SHOPPING, AND MAKE A YUMMY LUNCH TOGETHER.
- Ask friends to secretly come SIDEWALK CHALK THE DRIVEWAY WITH HAPPY BIRTHDAY MESSAGES.
- HOST A VIRTUAL DANCE PARTY. Have all their friends get on Zoom or FaceTime, blast some music, and have everyone dance together!
Fun birthday ideas for adults/spouses
- Have friends RECORD MARCO POLO MESSAGES OF THEIR FAVORITE MEMORIES OR THINGS THEY LOVE ABOUT HIM/HER.
- Ask friends and family to FACETIME IN TO SING HAPPY BIRTHDAY while they are blowing out the candles on their cake.
- BUY A TON OF FRESH FLOWERS and fill the whole kitchen or bedroom with them as a surprise.
- Keep it simple and MAKE THEIR FAVORITE DESSERT.
- Make them BREAKFAST IN BED with something extra special.
- Do an OUTDOOR MOVIE with all the best movie treats and popcorn, plus lots of cozy blankets and pillows.
- Pay for their FAVORITE CELEBRITY TO WISH THEM HAPPY BIRTHDAY from Cameo.com
Fun birthday ideas for friends
- Drive by their house and TIE BALLOONS TO THEIR MAILBOX.
- SIDEWALK CHALK THEIR DRIVEWAY with birthday messages about how much you love them
- ORDER THEM LUNCH FROM A LOCAL PLACE and have it delivered to their house.
- DROP A CAKE OR TREAT on their doorstep.
- If you live out of state, HAVE FLOWERS DELIVERED TO THEIR HOUSE.
- Arrange a VIRTUAL LUNCH DATE with all your friends. You could do it at a surprise — ask them to FaceTime and then have everyone else on at the same time, ready to eat and chat.
There are so many creative ways to celebrate a birthday, even if you can’t have a party or go out to eat.
If you have any other fun birthday celebration ideas that we could add to this quarantine list, leave a comment here or over on my Instagram post this morning!