Need some Mother’s Day gift ideas? Here are a few simple and thoughtful ideas for your mom or mother in law.
Easy, thoughtful Mother’s Day gift ideas that the women in your life will love.
I think having a day dedicated to celebrating mothers is such a great thing, and honestly, I do love Mother’s Day. But I also don’t think elaborate gifts are really necessary. There are lots of Mother’s Day gift ideas that are simple and affordable, but still so meaningful.
So I wanted to share just a couple of practical, thoughtful, happy gifts that aren’t over the top but are something that any mama would love and appreciate.
Let’s talk about what Mothers Day gifts you actually want!
I also asked you guys on Instagram what you really wanted for Mother’s Day and you really delivered. I’m sharing those ideas at the end of the post!
Here are 7 great Mother’s Day gift ideas that are simple and affordable.
1. Personalized “Mama” shirt
As an all-boy mom, I love the idea of of a “Boy Mom” shirt. But there are also so many cute versions that just say “mom” or “mama,” and variations for all kinds of moms.
I got a cute “Boy Mama” shirt last year from THIS SHOP, and they have so many fun pieces for girl moms, grandmas, adoption mamas, aunties, and lots of other adorable versions HERE.
I linked a few favorites below:
2. Online Sewing Class
Did you guys know that I have an online video sewing course? It’s 20 videos that teach you from beginning to end how to sew and create a dress and a skirt, put in pockets and necklines, hem, insert a sleeve, and more.
I created it about 5 years ago with my best friend, who is an incredible seamstress. If you or your mom have been wanting to learn to sew, this is a fantastic 2-part course that would make a fantastic gift.
It’s on sale right now for 40% off with code STAYATHOME.
I love everything personalized, and personalized jewelry is something everyone will love is something that every mom will love and treasure for years. I have several and they are my favorite everyday necklaces to wear to keep my boys with me all the time.
Last year I got this BEAUTIFUL BAR GORJANA NECKLACE that you can customize, and it’s a perfect everyday size that you can wear by itself or layer with other necklaces.
You could also do bracelets with charms, or stamped metal bracelets. I’ve linked a bunch of options below!
I’ve never been a big eyeshadow wearer until I discovered Flekk Cosmetics palettes. They’re a paint by number system, with numbered brushes and numbered eye shadow, plus a diagram on your palette lid to show you exactly how to put on your shadow. It’s seriously genius.
I’ve been talking a lot on my stories about Bright Boxes. They send little happy boxes filled with a note, a treat, a piece of jewelry, etc. and for only $5 shipped up to $16 shipped, they send them straight to your mom, your sister, your friend, etc. I think it’s such a great inexpensive but thoughtful gift to send to a mama friend, a sister, or your own mom.
You can get a free add-on with code MERRICK!
If you’re looking for something special but useful, a beautiful scarf would be a great Mother’s Day Gift. I wear THESE SCARVES in my hair, around my neck, or tied to my bag all the time, and I think my mom would love a nice SILK SCARF like this one.
I’ve linked some really beautiful ones below.
It’s spring, and I think every woman would love a fresh spring wreath on their door. Did you know you can buy fresh wreaths and have them delivered? Check out THIS GORGEOUS ONE!
I linked some of my favorites below!
What your wife really wants for Mother’s Day:
Ok, now that you have some great Mother’s Day gift ideas for your moms and mother-in-laws, it’s time for the list you can send to your husband with gift ideas for you. Should I make a printable for this list you can stick on your fridge??? HA!
This list is written directly to husbands so everything is very clear and no one is sent to the dog house.
- LET HER SLEEP IN. Sneak out of the bedroom, close the door behind you, and keep the children happy and quiet until she’s ready to wake up. Bonus points if you turn on a sound machine for her (so she sleeps more soundly) and the house is spotless when she wakes up.
- BOOK HER A SPA DAY. Ok, no spas are currently open, but you could purchase a gift card so she can go get a massage or a pedicure (or both) when all this quarantine business is over.
- DO ALL THE DISHES. Do not let her touch one single dish the entire day. I mean it. None.
- CLEAN THE HOUSE. Do it yourself or hire it out — your call. But those blinds and baseboards better be shining!
- BUY HER JEWELRY. You can never go wrong with jewelry. A new stack of rings, a pretty new necklace, gold bangles (these are amazing ones). Those are all linked so all you have to do is click and buy. I’m trying to make this as easy as possible for you.
- A BOUQUET OF FLOWERS. If you have a Trader Joe’s in your area, they have my favorite and most affordable fresh flowers. But of course every grocery store has them, and there are tons of online sites that deliver.
- A WEEKEND GETAWAY. Even though you can’t go now, just planning a weekend getaway and giving her a sweet card that tells her that you’re going to go somewhere together (and that you’ve already talked to grandma about watching the kids) will mean so much.
- GIVE HER A DAY OFF OF ALL HOUSEHOLD DUTIES. Including, but not limited to, cooking, cleaning, wiping children’s bums, picking up toys, and making the bed.
- TELL HER TO TAKE A LONG GUILT-FREE NAP. Again, a closed door, sound machine, and promise of a clean house when she wakes up will go a long way.
- A NEW, GOOD BOOK. If you need some ideas, check out this post.
- WRITE HER A HANDWRITTEN LETTER. One of my favorite ways to do this is to write a list…”50 reasons I love you.” You can list funny, sweet, romantic, or practical things. Anything goes!
- NEW PERFUME. This is the one I’ve been wearing lately and it’s very bright, sweet, and floral.
- TAKE THE KIDS OUT OF THE HOUSE FOR A FEW HOURS. Just give her a few hours to herself to do anything she’d like.
- GET HER CAR DETAILED. Not that we’re really using our cars right now, but it’s a gift she’ll majorly appreciate. There are lots of mobile car detailing services out there now, and they cost a pretty penny — money she’ll never spend on herself. So do it for her!
- AN AT HOME PAMPERING SESSION. If you don’t want to wait on the spa day, set up a spa day at home. Put the kids to bed, light some candles, turn on a soothing playlist, and give her an amazing at home massage.
- INITIATE A FAMILY HIKE. Sometimes women just want you to plan something for the family. Choose a hiking trail, get everyone’s shoes on (remember, she’s off duty for household chores for the day), pack up some water, sunscreen, and snacks, and go on a family hike. It’ll be great memories! Bonus points if you offer to take a picture of her with the kids without even being asked.
- GIVE HER A PIECE OF PERSONALIZED ART. Commission an artist to draw or paint a picture of your family, or a painting of your house. Also Caitlin Connolly has some of my favorite paintings ever. A beautiful one depicting motherhood would be an amazing gift. Check out all her art HERE.
- BUY NEW FLOWERS FOR THE GARDEN OR FRONT PORCH. Every woman loves having a pretty porch with flowers. Take a trip to Home Depot or Lowe’s and choose some hanging pots, some potted flowers, or some flowers she can plant in the backyard.
If you have any other great Mothers Day gift ideas, leave a comment!