I’ve tried a lot of workout clothes over the years, and these are the pieces I wear over and over and love.
These are my favorite pieces of workout clothes (and accessories)
I exercise six days a week, and have for a few years, so I’ve tried a lot of workout clothes. Like, a lot. Some I’ve loved, some I’ve hated. But today I want to share my tried and true favorites that I reach for over and over again.
The best workout clothes for running, strength training, and at-home cardio workouts
I’m sharing my top two favorites in each category — sports bras, leggings, shorts, tanks, and shoes. And then I’m sharing a few favorite accessories that I can’t live without when working out, like my bluetooth headphones and the best hair ties ever.
(click the images in the collage for links to the items)
- Calia Sports Bra. I have a few bras from Calia and really, really love them. I think my favorite thing about them is that the padding is built in. It drives me bonkers when I wash my sports bra and the little insert pads get bunched up and I have to readjust them every time. Plus, these are super comfortable and very supportive. This one is on sale for under $20 and comes in a bunch of cute colors and prints!
- Aerie Sports Bra. This bra is the softest, smoothest material, and feels like you’re wearing nothing. It has good support, and also that band at the bottom is so long and so comfortable. I’m obsessed. Definitely size down in this one. It’s also on sale for under $20!
- Zella Leggings. These are my favorite everyday leggings, but I love, love them for exercising too. The material is nice and thick and they hold everything in. I own two pairs and wear both an XS and an XXS — they’re super stretchy. Definitely size down in these.
- Aerie Leggings. I discovered these leggings a few months ago and have been shouting about them to everyone who will listen. They’re crazy lightweight (but not sheer), super comfortable, and feel like you’re wearing literally nothing. It’s crazy. They’re also super inexpensive. I wear a size XS.
- Starter Shorts. I bought these shorts a few years ago in a couple of colors and wore them all summer long to run, and they’re still in perfect condition. It’s crazy since they’re only $10! They’re comfortable, lightweight, and have a built in liner so you don’t show off too much while you’re running in short shorts. Shop them here.
- Biker shorts. These are a great pair of longer shorts that fit like a legging but are about finger tip length. They’re thick and sturdy, but don’t get too hot, great quality, and they’re super inexpensive. I run in these all the time during the summer!
- Nike Muscle Tank. I love wearing muscle tanks – the fit is just comfortable and cute, and looks great with a pair of fitted leggings or shorts. This Nike tank is a favorite because the material is lightweight so it’s nice and breathable. I wear a size small.
- Athleta Tank. I actually own a few pieces from Athleta and really love everything from there, but their tanks are amazing. This one is so lightweight and comfortable, has a fitted shape, is made of moisture wicking material AND has odor controlling technology, and is super breathable. I’m obsessed with this tank. I wear a size XS.
- Nike Air Max Sneakers. I got these sneakers last year and just started running in them a few months ago. They’re a little heavier than my other sneakers I ran in before (mentioned below), but the Air Max gives them great bounce and I feel like running in them is so easy. Definitely recommend. I wear my regular size 8, and they’re true to size.
- Nike Flyknit Sneakers. These were my running sneakers for almost two years (I know, that’s probably too long to wear the same pair of shoes — don’t yell at me) and I loved how lightweight and comfortable they were. Great support, super stretchy uppers, and very flexible. I wear my regular size 8 and they’re true to size.
- Hair Ties. I searched for ages for a good hair tie that would keep my hair in place for miles and miles while I ran. These ones are the best. They’re comfortable, don’t rip or pull your hair, come in tons of colors, and last for ages.
- Running belt. I freaking love this little belt. I snap it around my waist and it holds my phone (and a key if needed) while I run. It’s super flat, so it doesn’t bounce around while I run, and it can be worn with the pouch in the front or the back (but I prefer the back).
- Cushioned Socks. Of course you need good socks when you run. These are my absolute favorites.
- Bluetooth Headphones. I’ve never tried Airpods so I can’t compare, but I use these bluetooth headphones and love them. They wrap around my ear and have a rubber piece that sits inside your ear, so they stay in perfectly and never move while I run. Literally never. They also have great sound a long battery life!