A striped shirt is a closet essential for women. They’re so versatile and instantly make an outfit feel chic. These are my essential striped shirts in my closet and 12 outfit ideas for wearing them.
A striped shirt is a closet essential for women! Do you own one?
Let’s talk about striped shirts women wear. Do you own one?
I’m a bit of a striped shirt collector. They’re my favorite style of shirt, and I have to confess that if I see a striped tee in a store, I have to pick it up. I don’t always buy it, but often I do. I have owned so many striped shirts over the years, it’s almost embarrassing.
But a good striped tee is so versatile, and today I want to share a bunch of different ways to wear them, along with a few good shopping options if you’re in the market for a new one.
These 5 essential striped shirts in my closet:
- Short sleeve v-neck or crew neck tee
- Long sleeve. A basic long sleeve tee is perfect for everyday by itself or layered. It’s an essential in my closet!
- Turtleneck. I love this for layering or tucking into a skirt!
- Sweater. Either choose a sweater or a nicer boatneck or thicker material tee that you can dress up. Something beyond a t-shirt.
- Fitted long sleeve for layering. This one is my go-to and I love the extra long sleeves to stick out of sweaters or jackets.
Here are 12 ideas for wearing your striped shirts
1. Keep it casual with jeans and sneakers
Perfect momiform style. My favorite comfy white sneakers, a baseball hat to cover dirty hair and keep the sun out of my eyes, and comfy jeans. You could add a cardigan or a jacket or other layers/accessories to make this your style!
A casual half tuck helps elongate your legs with longer tees.
2. Try your striped tee with white jeans
Stripes and white pants or jeans are a great spring and summer combo! If it’s cold, choose your striped sweater and a pair of boots!
Also, this tee is oversized, so a knot at the waist keeps it from looking frumpy and too oversized. A tuck or half tuck works here too!
3. Tie a striped shirt around your waist
This is one of my favorite summer looks. It’s an easy way to add a print to an otherwise basic outfit! Just double knot your long sleeve tee around your waist. This would look really cute with white sneakers or sandals too!
4. Pair your striped tee with leggings and a cardigan
A perfect look for traveling or lounging at home — toss on your striped tee with a pair of black leggings and a cozy cardigan.
5. A striped tee and denim shorts make a good summer combo
During the summer, when shorts and a tee are all you want to wear, make that outfit a little more interesting with a striped shirt.
6. A striped tee looks great tucked into a midi skirt.
This is one of my go-to looks in the summer. Swap out the long sleeve for a short sleeve tee! And make sure you choose a striped shirt that’s not too oversized — a little more fitted is always better for tucking.
7. Layer your striped shirt under a sweater
I love layering tees, and a striped tee peeking out from underneath a sweater is a great way to add some interest to an outfit.
8. Add a bandana to your look
Accessories are always fun to add to a simple outfit. Add a bandana scarf around your hair or your neck when you wear your striped shirt!
9. Wear your striped shirt with joggers
A striped shirt is a great option for layering under a denim jacket. For a casual look, add jogger pants! But you could swap these joggers out for black jeans for a dressier look.
10. Wear a striped shirt under a sleeveless top
If you have a vest that you love, whether it’s a sweater vest or sleeveless cardigan or sleeveless jacket, try your striped tee under that!
11. Layer a striped shirt under a dress
If you’re wearing a sleeveless or strappy dress (slip dresses are popular this year!), try a striped turtleneck underneath it for a wintery look and a little extra warmth. You can do it in the fall with a turtleneck like this, or during the summer with a tank dress and a short sleeve striped shirt.
12. Layer a turtleneck under a jacket
This is an easy everyday outfit. You can do this with any striped shirt and any jacket!