this post is sponsored by Walmart. All opinions are my own.
You haven’t lived until you’ve tried this sugar cookie recipe! It’s only 5 ingredients, and the most amazing melt-in-your-mouth cookie. Give it a try this season!
Looking for a great sugar cookie recipe? I’ve got the best one ever.
Everyone loves making cookies around the holidays, and sugar cookies are always a good choice. You can cut them out in fun shapes, and add sprinkles, frosting and other fun decorations. But, of course, you need a great sugar cookie recipe!
Here’s how I found this amazing recipe. I’ve never been much of a sugar cookie person, but about five years ago I met a girl named Jana when we lived in Huntington Beach, California. She made the best sugar cookies, and would bring them to any and every baby shower, birthday party, or holiday get together, intricately decorated! You have to check out her instagram, @janalaurene.
I’ve tried tons of sugar cookie recipes over the years, and nothing compares to these cookies. They’re just the right amount of buttery, not too sweet, soft and thick, and melt in your mouth, and today she has generously let me share the recipe with you!
The trick I use to make store-bought frosting amazing
Jana always makes royal icing to decorate her sugar cookies, and that’s what allows her to make hers so intricate. But when I make sugar cookies with my kids, I buy store-bought frosting, but I’ve got a little trick to make store bought frosting amazing — add a little extract flavor!
We did peppermint extract with these ones to make them a little bit Christmas-y, but almond extract is also amazing. Just a few drops is all you need to turn store-bought frosting into something amazing.
And then, a few crushed candy canes on top adds a little crunch. So perfect.
5-Ingredient Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Wilton Meringue Powder
- 4 Cups confectioners sugar
- 6 Tbsp warm water
How to make the sugar cookies
- Cream Butter and Sugar in a mixer
- Add vanilla and egg yolks (be sure not to over mix).
- Add flour and mix until fully combined.
- Separate the dough into two balls. Put between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick. (NOTE: the thickness of the dough is important - don't roll thinner than 1/4")
- Put in fridge till dough becomes hard (about 30 min), then remove and cut out shapes.
- When the dough has become soft again repeat until all the dough is gone.
How to cook the sugar cookies
- IMPORTANT: cut and bake the cookies when the dough is straight from the fridge. This will allow them to hold their shape while they cook.
- Bake the cookies at 350 for about 9-12 min. Each oven is different, so watch them -- mine are done at 9 mins. Take them out before the edges start to brown, just when the center of the cookie has set.
- When cooled frost using royal icing (or store-bought frosting mixed with almond or peppermint extract, and topped with crushed candy canes, yum!)
How to make the royal icing
- I usually halve this recipe, but it all depends on how much icing you are planning on making. Also you might need to add more water to get the consistency you want.
- The trick is to run a knife through the icing and count 10 seconds, if the frosting has flattened out by then it is perfect for frosting. If it is too thin then it might run off the cookies and if it is too thick and keeps its shape for longer then it won't smooth out.
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS
How to make gorgeous DIY paper stars
Gift ideas for women (moms, friends, sisters, and more)
Gift ideas for men
What kind of flour do you use for this recipe (all-purpose, self-rising, etc)? Thanks! Can’t wait to try it out!
Thank you for sharing! I have been looking for a buttery sugar cookie. Cant wait to try them!
If i need these for next friday for a cookie party my daughter is having, think i could make rhe dough tuesday?
Finally! Perfect cookies, thank you!
What QUANTITY DOES this make?
Is this salted or uNsalted butter
About how many does this make.
These were the best sugar cookies. Everyone that tried them said wow these are so soft and so good. Thanks for the recipe.
good article site
I don’t know what to say really what you share is so good and helpful to the community, I feel that it makes our community much more developed, thanks.
Agreed – These are perfect! Thanks for sharing 🙂
We made theSe yesterday and they were deemed some of the best ever eatEn. Tell your Friend thanks for sharing!
Thank you for writing! It is easy to understand and detailed. I find it interesting, I hope you continue to have such good articles.
Is it really 2 cups of butter? 4 stiCKs?? Seems like so much!