This week is Better Than Basics week! Today we’re talking all about Better Than Basic summer tops. Here are twenty one really great ones.
Do you own a few better than basic summer tops?
We probably ALL have basics in our closet (if you don’t, read this post right here). But it’s those BETTER THAN BASIC pieces that really make your basics shine, and help you put together BETTER THAN BASIC outfits.
So many of you tell me you struggle to put together great outfits – they feel boring and too simple.
Adding a couple of BETTER THAN BASIC summer tops to your closet will help you put together some amazing outfits this summer.
What makes a summer top better than basic?
These are the kinds of tops that are a step above your basic t-shirts. We all have t-shirts, and they’re essential in a closet but they can be boring!
Here are some things to look for in a Better Than Basic top.
- Fabric – the quality or type of the fabric makes a big difference in how nice a top looks and feels. Linen, lace, eyelet, ponte knit, crisp cotton…all are great choices.
- Color – bright or saturated colors are fun and not so basic!
- Print – stripes, polka dots, floral, gingham,
- Shape – peplum, wrap style, button up, flowy, cropped, boxy, fitted – lots of options here!
- Sleeve and neckline details – puffed sleeves, square or v-shaped necklines, ruffle neck, ruffle sleeves, tie sleeves…so many more options here too.
How to wear a better than basic top
This is where your basics come in. You can pair Better Than Basic tops with basic jeans or shorts during the summer. You could tuck or half tuck them into a skirt. Wear them with wide leg pants, or linen pants, or even jogger pants!
Of course, you can also wear them with not so basic pieces too.
Here are a few examples.
Check out these great 21 Better Than Basic summer tops
If you missed DAY ONE of the Better Than Basics Guide, check it out HERE.