Every time I talk about cooking, I get asked about my top pantry essentials. So I’ve gone through my entire pantry and shared my top staples we always have on hand.
Looking for a good list of pantry essentials?
These are all my pantry essentials that I basically have on hand all the time, no matter what.
I’ve been buying my groceries from Walmart since we moved to Texas and I discovered grocery pickup. After a year of doing that, I signed up for Walmart+, which does grocery delivery to your house and my life has never been the same.
I literally never go to the grocery story anymore. It’s the best.
I love that I can order everything all in one place, the prices are amazing (and not more expensive than in store), and they have all the brands that I love.
A few notes about Walmart’s Online Pickup and Delivery
- I’ve never had a bad experience with them picking my produce! Seriously, in dozens of orders, it’s always been fantastic.
- You can order groceries right from the app or from Walmart.com. They make it so easy.
- If something isn’t available, they make a substitution automatically and you can choose whether or not to accept the substitution.
- Pickup is always completely FREE, delivery is included in your Walmart+ membership (details here), but I always tip my driver!
- Food prices are the same as in store – no hidden markups
- You can order anything from Walmart’s Online Pickup and Delivery – not just groceries!
*$35 minimum and small delivery fee apply. Pickup and Delivery available in select markets.
Now here are my pantry essentials, all of which I order regularly from Walmart!
Basic cooking essentials
- Black peppercorns
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Vegetable oil
I do a ton of baking with and without my kids, so these are essentials in my pantry and we use them often.
- All purpose flour
- I keep a TON of it in these 5 gallon storage buckets with an air tight lid
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- Chocolate chips
- I actually keep mine in the freezer, but they’re an essential. We ONLY buy Ghirardelli milk chocolate brand, cause we’re chocolate snobs.
- Granulated sugar
- I also keep this in a 5 gallon storage bucket
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Brown sugar
- Maple syrup
- we keep lots of this in the freezer, but it’s absolutely a baking essential for us
- I rarely use brown rice. We keep a huge 5 gallon container of white rice in the pantry
- shell pasta, egg noodles, angel hair spaghetti are our most used
- I always have panko and italian on hand
- I use this for the bottom of our pizza crust each week
- Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Mix
- I make one of these pancakes in a mug for my oldest every single morning
- I use these for baking and for eating oatmeal, and I always have old fashioned and quick oats on hand
- Corn Chex
- we make Puppy Chow almost every week for Friday night dessert, so lots of Chex are essential — Walmart always has the family size for the best price,
- Other breakfast cereal
- We rotate which kinds we get. Sometimes granola, Golden Grahams, Cheerios, Frosted Mini Wheats, etc.
Nuts are my go-to snack for the afternoon. I usually try to stay away from cashews, cause they make me break out if I eat too many, and they’re so high in fat. But a handful of almonds or pistachios is always a great treat. Philip typically eats the cashews.
I don’t cook with a lot of canned goods, but I always have canned beans and tomatoes on hand, plus a few other random things for certain recipes.
- cannellini, pinto, black, and kidney are my most used
- this fire roasted canned salsa is THE BEST. We just toss it in the blender to make it a little less chunky – it’s delish.
- fire roasted, petite diced, and stewed are my most used
- Tomato paste
- I just discovered that it comes in a tube instead of a can and my life has been changed forever
- Canned Chili
- our enchilada recipe calls for a can of this, so I always have some on hand
- Enchilada sauce
- I make these enchiladas every month or two – they’re our fave!
- Evaporated Milk
- I always have this just in case I need it for a recipe
You can’t cook without spices! These are my most used that I always have in the cupboard.
- Chile powder
- Crushed red pepper
- Garlic powder
- Smoked Paprika
Obviously most of these are fridge essentials, but I like to have an extra or two in the pantry at all times.
We always need snacks on hand! I buy a random assortment every month, so we don’t always have the exact same snacks. But these are some regulars that we usually have.
I hope this is helpful as you stock your pantry. And check if you have Walmart’s Online Pickup and Delivery available in your area – I promise, it’s life changing!
If you want a list of pantry essentials to print off and hang up in your kitchen, you can download my list by entering your email below!
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS
this post is sponsored by Walmart