All the products I’m using in my updated skin care routine for acne prone skin, plus an incredible giveaway for a skin care consultation with my esthetician!
I’ve been using a new skin care routine for my acne prone skin
I’ve always had acne prone skin. Basically from the moment I hit puberty it’s been a roller coaster of skin issues. I had it pretty well under control, but after moving to Dallas, my skin took a turn for the worse. So today I’m sharing an updated skin care routine for acne prone skin, with tools and products that have helped me clear my skin up.
My esthetician is giving away three virtual skin consultations and her line of skincare!
I’m also so excited to be teaming up with my amazing esthetician, Leslie, from SkinLiv. She’s a skin guru, and took care of my skin back in California until I moved to Texas.
She’s giving away a full set of her skin care line, plus a zoom skin consultation to three winners! All the details will be on Instagram today on my account, @merricksart.
We’re sharing the skin care routine for acne that she created for me, and how it transformed my very acne prone skin.
A little background on my recent skin issues
When I left California at the beginning of 2019, my skin was in really good shape. I wasn’t having any issues with breakouts, and I was doing microneedling treatments to help lessen my acne scarring.
After a few months in Dallas, I found a place that did microneedling and did one treatment. I started breaking out as my skin healed from the microneedling (which is typical), but from then on I could never get my acne back under control. For months I struggled on and off.
Last fall I started getting cystic acne
Finally, in October, it got really bad. I’d only had cystic acne once in my life (back in 2016 or 2017) but here it was again. I was drinking tons of water, eating healthy, not touching my face, and doing everything else I could think of.
Finally after a few weeks of horrible cystic acne, I went to a dermatologist. He prescribed me some medication and a topical cream, but after a month of being on both there was literally no change.
This is when my husband recommended I reach out to Leslie, my wonderful esthetician back in California.
My before and after photos of my skin
It’s really, really hard to share you these before photos, but since they’re important to the story, I really feel like I have to show you the difference.
I reached out to Leslie, sent her some pictures of my skin, and we did a little consultation. She already knew my skin, from months of taking care of it back in California, but I gave her as much detail as I could about my current diet and the products I was using.
This is what she’s going to do for three of you for free, and what she can do for any of you if you want to contact her directly after the giveaway is over!
I’m almost three months into this skincare routine for my acne
I took these bottom photos in mid February, one week after starting Leslie’s program she built for me. I was in shock, and so grateful. Acne is so debilitating, and takes a big toll on your confidence, so after months of major skin issues, I was beyond happy with these results.
Now, after almost three months of using her skincare, I’ve seen huge improvements in my skin, and it’s slowly but surely getting back to a good place. I still have break outs when I’m on my cycle, but they’re much more controlled and clear up quickly. And no cystic acne for me in several months — woohoo!
I also went on a different acne medication a few weeks after starting her skincare program just to continue to help my hormones regulate and prevent additional scarring as my skin improves.
And I’m taking the DIM supplement that my OBGYN recommended, and I’ll talk about other products and tools I’m using below.
Tools, products, and my skin care routine for acne prone skin
After my consultation with Leslie, I discovered that I was using way too many products. Your face really only needs the essentials:
- Vitamin C
So this is the regimen we came up with for me that has given me drastic results.
My morning skincare routine for my acne prone skin
Step 1: LIVPure FACE CLEANSER:
- I’m using a salicylic acid cleanser from SkinLiv that’s strong and super effective. She instructed me to wash my face with this every morning and night for two minutes. She also gave me a gentle cleanser to use from time to time if my skin was feeling too sensitive after using the salicylic cleanser everyday.
Step 2. LIVClear TONER PADS:
- These are little cleansing pads with Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, and Lactic Acid. I tear them in half and use half for the morning, half for the evening.
Step 3. GENX Vitamin C
- Vitamin C is essential for anti-aging. I do one dropper of this every morning and pat gently on my face.
- This is a really thick, hydrating cream, but also has Glycolic Acid in it, so it’s super effective and won’t clog up your face. It doesn’t feel heavy, and one tiny pump helps my skin feel hydrated but not greasy.
Step 5. SUNSCREEN.
- I use BeautyBio’s protector sunscreen. A little goes a long way and it doesn’t make my makeup melt off.
My evening skincare routine for my acne prone skin
- Same as the morning, cleanse for 2 minutes
Step 2. LIVClear TONER PADS:
- I use the other half from the morning cleanse!
Step 3. BeautyBio MICRONEEDLING
- I used a cheap dermaroller for a few years until I finally invested in a BeautyBio at-home microneedling tool. The difference in quality and results is insane. It creates tiny microchannels in your skin that allow your products to soak into your skin and actually become more effective. I do this 2-3 times a week and it’s insane how well it works in minimizing pores and fine lines and is helping to minimize my acne scars (both divots and redness).
Step 4. LIVRenew RETINOL
- One pump goes all over my face and I let it completely dry.
- mixed together and spread across entire face. Leslie introduced me to Lipids and they’re like liquid gold. It’s made of replenishing plant lipids combined in a squalane base to replenish, soothe, and hydrate your face. They make my face buttery soft.
- I’m trying to take really good care of my neck and décolleté as I get older, so a really good neck cream is essential. I use this Confidence in a Cream as my neck cream, and I spread it gently (no pulling that delicate skin!) across my entire neck and décolleté.
Step 7. EYE CREAM
- And don’t forget around the eyes! I’ve been using THIS EYE CREAM for almost 3 years and it’s fantastic.
The supplements I’m taking as part of my skin care routine for acne
- This is the medication I’m currently taking, as prescribed by my doctor. I’m on a really low dosage, and so far it’s been very effective. Obviously ask your dermatologist or your healthcare professional about something that’s right for you.
- My OBGYN recommended this supplement when I came in for a checkup and mentioned my hormonal acne. It’s an all natural supplement made from Cruciferous vegetables, and promotes estrogen metabolism, so it’s great for helping cystic and hormonal acne, as well as hormone related issues in menopause, like hot flashes, mood swings, etc. You can read more about it HERE.
- I’ve been taking this supplement on and off for a few years. As you age, you lose collagen in your joints and skin, so taking a collagen supplement is really helpful to replace that collagen you’re losing. I usually just mix it with my tea, but they recently came out with flavored collagen powder which you can mix with water and tastes delicious! The Dark Chocolate Blackberry is actually amazing.
Other things that have helped my acne prone skin
WASH MY MAKEUP BRUSHES.
- Not cleaning your makeup brushes is basically just spreading bacteria on your face. I have a whole post HERE about how I clean my makeup brushes!
CHANGE MY PILLOWCASE.
- Leslie recommends doubling up your pillow case so you can sleep on one side the first night, the other side the second night, then remove that pillow case and do the same the next two nights. You get almost a week without having to add a new case.
DRINK LOTS OF WATER.
- I felt like this helped zero percent with my cystic hormonal acne, but day to day it makes my skin brighter and hydrated. So keep chugging those gallons!
- Leslie gave me some weekly peel pads that are super effective. They’re amazing for exfoliating and regenerating your skin every week.
I’m giving away a ton of these skin care products over on Instagram!
All of the products I mentioned from Leslie can be purchased through her website HERE, or she can give you recommendations of good brands that will work for your skin type.
She’s a wealth of knowledge and I cannot recommend her highly enough. You can also check her out on Instagram here.
Head over to my instagram page this morning where Leslie and I are giving away THREE virtual skin consultations, plus her entire line of products to three winners!
photos by Aubrey Stock