Not all makeup brushes are created equal. These are my favorite tried and true makeup brushes, and the ones I invested in after using crappy ones for my whole life! You don’t need many, but a few good ones make a big difference!
You get what you pay for when it comes to makeup brushes.
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. This was totally the case for me and my makeup brushes. I bought the cheapest ones I could find from the grocery store or Target, and they were fine, but the bristles fell out, they didn’t hold onto my powders very well, and they fell apart quickly. Total waste of money.
Finally I tried out a few brands, and found a few affordable ones that are super great quality and have lasted me for years and still look brand new!
It’s all about how you take care of them, and buying ones that are good quality.
These are the makeup brushes I love.
I don’t own a ton of brushes — I have seven total, each serves a different purpose, and I use each of them every single day.
There are two brands that I really love — pixi beauty and It Cosmetics. Both are great quality and not too expensive.
Purchasing a makeup brush set is a great way to save money
Before I break them all down, I have to tell you that most of these come in a set. Purchasing a MAKEUP BRUSH SET is a really good way to get a lot of brushes for a really good price.
A breakdown of the brushes I use and love
- It Cosmetic’s Powder Brush
- I use this for foundation. It’s big and fluffy and perfect for the TRANSLUCENT SETTING POWDER I use everyday.
- It Cosmetics Skin Perfecting Brush
This is a great little dual head brush that I use for my blush. The brush is just the right size to apply blush to the apples of your cheeks.
- It Cosmetic’s Heavenly Luxe Angled Radiance Brush
- I love using this brush for my bronzer. The angle helps my get it just right along my cheekbones and under my chin. It’s also a shorter haired brush so I feel like I have way more control. Definitely recommend this one for basic contouring.
- Pixi Beauty Precision Brush
- Right now I’m really into a soft eyeliner look, no harsh lines, so this is a great brush to get a soft blended eyeliner.
- THIS ONE from It Cosmetics is super similar!
- Pixi Beauty Crease Brush
- I love this crease brush because it helps your eyeshadow blend beautifully and fits right inside your eye crease. It’s also big enough for full coverage over your lid so it’s dual use.
- THIS ONE is also great if you don’t want a slight angle.
- I also have a short, straight eyeshadow brush that’s great for more precise shadow on your lid, and it’s from Pixi Beauty but it’s not available anymore. I found a really similar one from It Cosmetics RIGHT HERE that has great reviews! I think it’s another great brush shape to have in your toolkit.
This is a great place to start if you’re a makeup newbie
Also I have to mention that I also love my Flekk Cosmetic brushes. They’re good quality, and honestly having these brushes (and their palettes), helped me learn how to even put eyeshadow on my face. So if you’re a newbie to eye makeup, START WITH THIS PALETTE. I like the Pixi Brushes a little more because they’re a little better shape for my eyes and better quality, but honestly the Flekk ones are good too!
If you liked this post, you might also love: