I used to be the worst at cleaning my makeup brushes until I discovered this inexpensive and easy solution. A cheap soap and a makeup brush cleaning mat under $10, and suddenly my makeup brushes are staying much cleaner.
Clean your makeup brushes with this super inexpensive product you already have in your home!
I’m as guilty as the next girl for not cleaning my makeup brushes more often. But I think my biggest setback was that I didn’t know what cleanser to use, and buying a little bottle of expensive makeup brush cleaner didn’t sound ideal.
Then I realized there’s a product I always use to clean oil based stains — Dawn dish soap! Duh!
I have a huge bottle of it at all times, and it cuts through my makeup better than anything. My makeup brushes are sparkly clean now.
This $9 makeup brush cleaning mat is a game changer for cleaning makeup brushes
There is one other tool I always use to clean my brushes that makes it so easy. This MAKEUP BRUSH CLEANING MAT is under $10 and is a total game changer.
It has little suction feet on the under side that stick to your sink, and different ridges on the top to create suds and clean your brushes super well.
Try this step by step to clean makeup brushes
Here’s what you need for cleaning your makeup brushes:
- Dawn dish soap
- Makeup cleaning mat
- Small hand towel
Here’s a step by step tutorial to clean makeup brushes. Do this at your bathroom counter.
- Fill a small bowl with dawn dish soap.
- Get your makeup brush damp under running water
- Dip the makeup brush in the dish soap – you don’t need much, a little goes a long way.
- Scrub the makeup brush along the cleaning mat, swirling and swiping and scrubbing to coax all the product out.
- Rinse under running water until the water runs clear and the brush is completely clean. Repeat with more soap and scrubbing if needed.
- Wipe the brush on the clean hand towel to remove excess water, and lay flat on the towel to dry. Do not place them in a cup to dry — the water will drip down into the bristles and loosen the glue.
How often should you be washing your brushes?
You should be washing your makeup brushes about once a week (don’t feel guilty — I’m not the best at regularly washing mine either!). It’s an easy routine you can do on Sunday night so your brushes are clean and dry on Monday morning, ready for a new week!
I shared my 5 minute makeup routine right here
I’m pretty quick and minimal with my makeup, and shared my five minute makeup routine RIGHT HERE!