This weekend is the first day of spring and it’s time to pull out all those spring dresses! With your legs finally seeing the light of day, try my favorite self tanner to give yourself a little golden glow.
poppy and dot robe
Spring is here and your legs are about to see the sun for the first time in months. Get them ready with a little self tanner.
I share this exact blog post every single year, but it’s one of my most frequently asked questions, and when you find the best self tanner, you have to share!
I’ve tried a bunch of different brands, and hands down St. Tropez self tanner is my very favorite.
These are my favorite things about this self tanner from St. Tropez
- Natural color (not orange at all)
- Goes on very evenly
- Doesn’t have a harsh, weird smell
- Lasts for days
To get the best long-lasting results with self tanner, here’s what I do.
- Take a shower in the morning and exfoliate your entire body.
- Get out, dry off, and apply lotion to your entire body (any kind will do).
- Once your lotion is settled in, apply 2-3 pumps of the foam to your mitt and rub in a circular motion as you apply evenly to your body.
- I do two coats of color on my entire body, letting the first coat dry for a minute or two before applying the second coat.
- Toss on a lightweight robe or a dress you don’t mind getting color on (although it does come off in the wash without a problem!) and let it dry for a couple of hours.
- You do not want your body to get wet for the next few hours — I try to not even wash my hands for as long as possible.
- Go to bed that night without showering, then shower in the morning when you’ve hit the 24 hour mark. You’ll see some color come off, but don’t worry!
- Then get out of the shower and repeat the application again, but you don’t need to let it set for so long.
I do this for 2-3 days in a row to get a nice base color, and then I can apply about once a week for touchups and to keep the color.
If you don’t like mousse, try this gradual tan lotion
Two years ago, I discovered this Banana Boat gradual tan lotion. If you’re nervous about the mousse, this is a good alternative.
My only complaint about this lotion is that it doesn’t do as well on your hands and feet. If it gets in between your fingers and toes and the lotion just sits there, it can turn dark orange. So whenever I put it on, I go back with a washcloth and wipe between all my fingers and toes to avoid build up.
Here are the self tanning products I use on my face.
There are lots of tanning products out there for your face, but I honestly don’t love them because when I wash my face twice a day, there’s no time for the color to set and stay.
So if I want some instant color, I use a dry makeup brush and pump some St. Tropez mousse onto it and brush it around my face and neck.
I use bronzer. Or a darker shade of BB cream. I shared my full makeup routine HERE and you can see which bronzer and BB cream I use.
You might be nervous to try self tanner if you’ve never done it before, but trust me. This one is the best out there, and you’ll be hooked in no time!