Pink Peonies Fabric c/o Spoonflower – sewing tutorial below, Jimmy Choo Heels
I can’t believe it, but Easter is only a week and a half away! I’ve made it a tradition to make myself a special dress for Easter every year, and this year I’ve teamed up with Spoonflower to create a gorgeous dress from their custom designed fabric.
If you don’t know about Spoonflower, it’s a huge platform where artists and designers can upload their work and then you can have those designs printed onto the fabric of your choice. They have cotton, chiffon, jersey knit, velvet, and more! It’s pure genius.
I was so excited to try out their chiffon fabric, and I chose this gorgeous pink peonies as my design, and created a long sleeve fit and flare dress.
You can get 10% off any fabric from Spoonflower through the end of April with code MERRICK2018!
Let me show you how to make it!
Here’s what you’ll need:
3 yards chiffon fabric (get 10% off any Spoonflower fabric with code MERRICK2018)
2 yards of lining (I recommend something non-stretchy)
20-22″ invisible zipper
1. First cut your pattern pieces. You’ll need to cut all these pieces (except the sleeves) out of your chiffon and lining fabric. You’ll need a BODICE FRONT (cut on the folded edge), 2 BODICE BACK pieces, 2 SLEEVES (cut along the folded edge), and a big rectangular piece for the skirt (the measurements for the skirt are so individual since it depends on how big you want your pleats as well as your size. But it should be roughly your waist measurement x 1.5 (you might need to sew a few pieces of fabric/lining together to make a piece this wide), and as long as you want).
2. Take your BODICE FRONT pieces (lining and fabric), and pin them right sides together along the neckline. Sew around the scoop with a straight stitch, turn the pieces right side out, and press in place. Then, as if your chiffon and lining were just one piece, sew darts into your BODICE FRONT piece.
Repeat for the BODICE BACK and BODICE BACK LINING pieces, but don’t add darts.
3. Sew the BODICE FRONT and two BODICE BACK pieces (and their linings) together at the shoulder seams (with right sides together).
4. Now it’s time to attach the sleeves. Line up the top of the sleeve with the bodice shoulder seam (as shown) with right sides together. Pin in place.
5. Continue pinning the sleeve to the bodice, and then sew along the arm hole with a straight stitch. Repeat for the second sleeve.
6. With right sides together, sew the sides of the bodice up with a straight stitch.
7. Take your skirt piece and sew along the top edge (about 1/4 from the edge) with a basting stitch. Leave your threads long so you can gather it. Gather the fabric until the length is the same as the bodice.
8. Pull the strings on either side to gather you fabric evenly along the whole skirt. Repeat for the lining.
9. Take your gathered skirt piece and pin it to the bodice with right sides together, as shown. Pin your skirt lining to the skirt as well. Sew across the entire waistline circumference, attaching the skirt to the bodice.
10. Insert your zipper following the instructions on the package, and then sew up the remaining opening of the dress below the zipper. Finally, hem the bottom of the dress and the sleeves to your desired length, press all your seams, and you’re done!
Now for the Giveaway!
ENTER TO WIN 4 YARDS OF SPOONFLOWER CHIFFON FABRIC (in the design of your choice!)
All you need to do is sign up for Spoonflower’s email list to enter! Enter through the rafflecopter widget below:
This giveaway is open internationally. It will be open for 5 days, and will close Sunday, March 25th. Winner will be chosen and announced on March 26th. Winner must claim their prize within one week, after which the prize will be forfeited and another winner will be chosen. All other terms and conditions HERE.
Thank you to Spoonflower for sponsoring this post