This week is Better Than Basics week! Today we’re talking all about Better Than Basic coats and jackets. Here are 22 really fantastic ones!
Do you own a better than basic winter coat and jacket?
In the winter when you can’t leave the house without layers, it’s nice to own a statement piece that can elevate your whole outfit.
Don’t feel like you need more than one of these, or that it has to be bright orange to make a statement. The key is to find pieces that are interesting while still being versatile and neutral enough.
If you missed days 1-3 of this series, you can find them RIGHT HERE:
- Day 1: 22 Better Than Basic Outfits for the Winter of 2022
- Day 2: 22 Better Than Basic Winter Tops
- Day 3: 22 Better than Basic Winter Bottoms and Dresses (skirts, pants, and one pieces)
What makes a winter coat or jacket better than basic?
These are the kinds of coats or jackets that are a step above your basics.
Here are some things to look for in a Better Than Basic coat or jacket.
- Fabric – wool, boucle, puffer, faux fur…
- Color – dark green, burgundy, red, ivory, light blue, blush pink…
- Print – plaid is my go to, but I love herringbone or even a small dot!
- Shape – wrap with a waist tie, princess seams that cinch your waist, cropped boxy puffer, slim fit blazer…lots of options!
How to wear a better than basic coat or jacket
It’s all about layers in the winter to keep you warm and also make your outfit feel interesting. You could layer a blazer and a coat together, or add a scarf with a coat for some added texture. Also try turtlenecks layered with coats for some dimension!
You don’t have to wear things that are crazy bold, but try new textures or patterns or colors together to make a better than basic outfit.
Here are a few examples.
Check out these great 22 Better Than Basic winter coats and jackets.