With the kids heading back to school and life getting more routine, I love to re-examine and reset my goals for the year!
Who says you can only make goals in the New Year? I love reevaluating my goals for the year at the start of the school year so I can finish the year productive and strong.
MADEWELL DRESS (similar in stock HERE) | MADEWELL HEELS (similar in stock HERE) | MADEWELL CROSSBODY BAG
My 2022 Goals Reset
1. Attend the temple once a month
- I made this goal at the beginning of 2022 and so far I’m 9 for 9! With life getting so busy the rest of the year as we head into the holidays, I’m determined to finish the year with at 12 for 12.
2. Get Broadway season tickets
- We have two big theaters fairly close to us, both of which have traveling broadway casts that come through every month or so. My goal was to get two season tickets so I could go and take one child, Philip, or a friend. I just bought my season tickets a week or two ago and I’m so happy! The first show is in November and I can’t wait.
3. Sign up for golf classes
- We literally live on a golf course, with several holes less than a 30 second golf cart drive from my front door. It’s ridiculous that I do not know how to golf. One of my goals this year is to take a few private lessons and then start practicing with B so he can teach me too. I don’t need to be an expert by any means, but I want to get decent enough to enjoy it and be able to go with Philip and my boys.
4. Date night once a month at least
- We are finally at the golden age when B is old enough to stay home and babysit for a few hours while we’re out on date night. It’s GLORIOUS! He’s still not super comfortable if we’re too far from home or out too late, but I’m determined to take advantage of this and get out for a date night once a month at least. e’ve actually done pretty well the last few months!
5. Hike through preserve once a month
- Our house backs up to a large preserve and a lake, so we can literally walk out our back door and be in the preserve with gorgeous trees and deer and wild flowers and streams. It’s kind of magical, but we honestly don’t take advantage of it. It’s been way too hot the last few months, but once the weather cools down I’m forcing us to get outside and make it happen once a month at least, cause it’s a great way to spend calm and simple time as a family. It’s actually a great Sunday afternoon activity!
6. Family movie night – no phones
- We do family movie night every Friday and it’s such a fun family tradition. But at the end of Friday night, I often still have a few things left on my to-do list before the weekend, and I will sometimes sneak a little phone time in while we watch the movie. I’m determined to quit this bad habit before my kids get phones of their own (still a loooong time away) and follow my bad example.
7. Start getting quotes for the pool and backyard
- It’s almost that time…we’re actually going to do the backyard!! We have plans for a pool, outdoor kitchen, and a half basketball court. We are SO excited. The hard and scary part is getting quotes from companies and moving forward. This is a major goal of ours for this fall so they can get started early next year and we can have it before next summer.
8. Go to high school football games
- I’m currently REALLY making an effort to take advantage of local things (like golf, hiking in the preserve, and of course, TEXAS FOOTBALL). In Dallas, everyone goes to the high school football games – they’re a big deal and they’re so fun. This year it’s especially fun because our younger boys are on the junior leagues, so they have the same mascot and name as the high school team. It makes us feel super connected to the high school team and it’s so fun for them to wear their football gear and go to the games. We can’t make it to every game, but we’re making it to as many as we can. Football has become a huge part of our lives since we moved to Texas and I’m embracing it whole heartedly!
9. Finish my yearly Mixbook photobook early
- Every year I make a photo book of the previous year for Philip for Christmas. I always make it RIGHT before the deadline to order in time for Christmas and it’s always stressful. This year I’m determined to get it done early so I don’t have to stress about it. It’s my favorite gift to give to him every year — I wrote all about it right here — and if you want to make one too, they make amazing gifts for your family, parents, in-laws, spouse, or a friend. My code MERRICK22 works for 50% off any Mixbook photo books through the end of the year!
I’d love to know what goals you’re working on for the rest of the year!
Writing down a detailed personal action plan is always an effective way to balance work life, thank you for sharing.