Shorts are an easy go-to during the summer. But, tons of you asked for non-denim short outfits. Here are tips to make cute outfits with non-denim shorts.
Why the “before” shorts outfit needs improvements:
- I see a lot of women wearing biker shorts right now, and they’re great if you’re actually going biking (or hiking or working out). But the length, the material, the outfits we pair them with…none of it is great for everyday wear by themselves.
- A fitted, long short cuts your leg line in half, making you look squatty, and the stretchy material shows every bit of your shape in not the most flattering way.
- Most women wear them with very oversized shirts, which are boxy and unflattering in their own right (I can appreciate that they’re balancing the outfit with a fitted bottom and oversized tee), but the outfit as a whole is just not your best option. I didn’t do a super oversized tee, but even with a shorter tee the outfit feels shapeless.
- Also you know my opinion of rubber flip flops at this point…we can do better than this!
A few easy ways to improve your summer outfits with non-denim shorts
- I found these cute A-line fit shorts on Amazon and with a higher waist (but not too high), a wider leg, and a cute color, they give the look of a skirt!
- I’m balancing the outfit with a fitted tee, but since the waist is accentuated with these shorts, you could do a boxier tee and just tuck or half tuck it in.
- A pair of nice sandals instantly elevates the outfit.
- Don’t forget accessories! A small pair of earrings and a couple of bracelets add a little sparkle and make the outfit feel special.
If you’re more of a visual person, here’s the same advice in action
Looking to add some non-denim shorts to your closet?
- I shared a few great options in THIS SHORTS roundup
- Also check out THIS POST with non-denim bottoms
- If you’re looking for denim shorts, I have 25 great pairs RIGHT HERE.
Other summer outfits with shorts you might like…
- I’m new to non-denim shorts, so these outfits are with denim shorts. But hopefully they give you some examples that are helpful for implementing into your non-denim shorts outfits.
Why these outfits work:
- Outfit 1:
- Outfit 2:
- A monochromatic outfit, whether it’s white or black or gray or blue or any color, makes the outfit feel more purposeful and intentional. Again, a nicer blouse makes the outfit feel more purposeful and polished, and the high waisted shorts with a wider leg cut create a nice A-line shape. I finished the outfit with a few bracelets and some nice sandals and cute earrings.
I hope this helps you put together great summer outfits with non-denim shorts!