Our dinner schedule looks a little different in the summer. Here’s how we adjust our weekly menu and meal preparation when the boys are home and able to help more!
Summer is in full swing over here. I love having the boys home and able to help in the kitchen and become more involved in dinner planning and prep.
In an effort to make my life easier, I chose a weekly meal schedule to make meal planning and prep a little easier. Normally I don’t have any kind of cadence, but this rhythm and schedule helps me a ton with meal decision making during the summer!
Our summer dinner schedule
Monday: Boys help in the kitchen/boy choice
- We are rotating through each boy during the summer so they’ll help in the kitchen once every three weeks. This schedule may be thrown off a bit because of summer travel, but we’ll do our best. They get to decide what they’re cooking, they’ll make sure we have the ingredients needed, and then they help cook, serve, and clean up. We’re learning life skills over here!
Tuesday: Freezer meal
- I’ve never made actual freezer meals myself (although I’d like to this summer!) but this is more frozen leftovers that I re-make into something else, or a Costco or Trader Joe’s dinner that’s somewhat pre-made and easy to throw together.
- The crockpot is my best friend all year long, but especially during the summer when I can work in the morning, play with my kids in the afternoon, and then come home to dinner practically ready.
Thursday: on the grill
- One of my summer goals this year is to learn how to grill. I’ve done hamburgers and terikayi chicken skewers so far, and I’m hoping to learn lots more over the next few months. This will be my weekly practice session!
Friday: Pizza Night
- We do homemade pizza and a movie every Friday night. We rarely order pizza in on this day. Our favorite pizza currently is BBQ chicken with jalapenos, corn, and crispy onions on top. So delicious!
Saturday: Out to eat/order in or date night
- Saturday is my day off of cooking always. We either order something in, go out to eat as a family, or leave the kids at home with Mac and Cheese and Philip and I go out to eat.
Sunday: Nice dinner
- I love making a more elaborate dinner on Sundays…something in the crockpot, or a more involved recipe, plus a dessert.
Do you have a menu cadence? I’d love to hear!