Every time I share my favorite leather boots or accessories, I get a ton of questions on how to care for them. Here’s how to clean, store and treat your leather goods.
When I buy quality products, I want them to last a long time. This means that they have to hold up in the weather, be stored nicely, and more. If you’ve invested in a staple leather piece, here are some tips to help keep them looking clean, fresh and new.
In full disclosure, I’ve actually never done most of these things, but I get questions all the time and I figure it’s time to be a grown up and legitimately take care of my leather goods.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR LEATHER BAGS
- Clean your leather bag
- First of all, we’re supposed to clean them one or two times per year. Noted.
- Brush with a soft, dry or slightly damp cloth, and make sure your hands are clean so they don’t transfer oils to the leather.
- Wipe in circular motions to avoid streaks or stripes.
- Condition your bag
- How to store your bag
- Most nice bags come with a dust bag. Stuff the bag with paper to help it keep its shape, and store in the dust bag.
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR LEATHER SHOES
These tips are basically the same, but a few extra tips because you might wear your leather shoes out in inclement weather.
- Clean your leather shoes:
- After wearing them, make sure you brush off any salt or dirt or dust. You can use a brush or a dry or slightly damp cloth.
- Again, brush in circular motions to avoid stripes or lines.
- Water protect your shoes:
- I only have a few pairs of shoes that I’ll wear in really bad weather, and those shoes are already weather protected. But if you own a pair of leather shoes that isn’t weather protected, or you’re prone to spills or stains, here are a few recommended products you can apply to your shoes to take care of them and keep them in good shape despite any mishaps.
Let’s all commit this year to taking better care of our shoes and bags, okay? I’m the first in line!