This summer my kids have finally reached that golden age when we can leave them behind with the grandparents and Philip and I can get away for the weekend. We love to take the kids with us when we travel, but sometimes a little quiet weekend away is just what the doctor ordered.
When it comes to packing for these weekends, I’m a total minimalist, and Philip and I often just share a small suitcase. So with my limited space, I throw in only the essentials, and items that will work for more than one occasion.
10 ESSENTIALS FOR A WEEKEND GETAWAY
- Swimsuit. Our weekend getaways we’ve planned this year involve the beach and a resort with a pool. So obviously a swimsuit is a must. If you’re there for more than one day, throw in an extra.
- Dress/Coverup. Find something that can double as both — a coverup during the day and a dress for dinner at night. I’ll pack two or three so I can mix and match for the whole weekend.
- Jacket. Don’t forget a jacket for those cool evenings after a day at the beach! A denim jacket will go with everything, but you could also bring a blazer or a leather jacket for some different dinner looks.
- Beach Bag. A beach bag is definitely an essential to hold your beach towel, your sunglasses, sunscreen, room key, and a book or magazine when you head down to the water.
- Hat. This summer I’m really into hats, and this panama hat is one of my favorites. It’s perfect for a chic beach look, but also keeps the sun out of your face and is totally dinner appropriate. But a floppy straw hat or a baseball cap are other good alternatives!
- Sunglasses. I always like to bring at least two pairs to wear with different outfits, but these blue lens aviators are my current favorite.
- Lip Gloss. When you’re spending your days at the pool or the beach, it makes more sense to leave most of your makeup at home. But a little swipe of colorful lipgloss always makes me feel more put together and pretty.
- Sandals. Find a pair that go with all your dresses, and work for both the beach/pool, and walking (since you might want to walk around town after dinner)
- Sunscreen. Obviously. There’s no better way to ruin your vacation than with a killer sunburn. Am I right?
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleansing Cloths. These are perfect for a weekend getaway because they can replace your face wash for the weekend so you have a few less things to pack, and you can throw them in your beach bag and easily wipe off any sweat, dirt, or makeup after a day at the beach.
photos by sara walk
What are your packing essentials for a weekend getaway?? And don’t forget to check out other summer style on StyleList!
old navy dress, c/o
lulu*s sandals, c/o
old navy bag, c/o
Compensation for this post was provided by Galderma via AOL Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Galderma or AOL.