The high waisted, light wash mom jeans of the 80s are back in full force. Now the question is, how to wear mom jeans in a modern way. Here are three easy tips.
Trying to figure out how to wear mom jeans?
Mom jeans are the biggest trend of jeans right now. My love for skinny jeans will never die, but I’m definitely loving the lighter wash and higher fit of mom jeans. Lots of you are too, but your biggest question is how to wear mom jeans?!
Today I’m going to share three simple outfits and three tips to help you wear mom jeans well.
The ultimate goal is to make them feel modern and cute, not straight out of the 80s. These tips will definitely help you do just that.
What are mom jeans?
First of all, what jeans are even considering mom jeans?
Typically, they’re characterized by a really high waist and a thicker denim material with no stretch. They come in all washes, and you can find them in a wide leg fit, straight leg, cropped flare, even a semi-skinny fit.
I’ll show you a few different options.
Three tips for how to wear to mom jeans well
1. Accentuate your waist
2. Balance ripped jeans with something chic or feminine
3. Balance the oversized with the slim
Let me show you some examples.
1. Mom Jeans Outfit Tip: Accentuate your waist
When the waist on your jeans is higher, take advantage and accentuate your narrower natural waist.
Here are a few easy ways to accentuate your waist when wearing mom jeans:
- Wear a bodysuit
- Add a belt
- Half tuck your shirt to reveal your waistline
- Fully tuck your shirt to show your waist (this is what I did below)
2. Mom Jeans Outfit Tip: Balance ripped jeans with something chic or feminine
A lot of mom jeans are modernized and have distressing on them (unlike the ones in the 80s). I love a little distressing here and there, and THESE BUSTED KNEE MOM JEANS are some of my favorites.
But when you have an oversized jean with distressing, add a little femininity to the outfit to elevate the outfit.
Here are a few ways to add some femininity to dressed mom jeans
- Put a bandana or headband in your hair (this is what I did below)
- Add a fun pair of feminine earrings (big diamond studs, gold hoops, chandelier statement earrings, etc)
- Toss on a pair of heels. I love the look of stilettos and distressed jeans.
- Pair your mom jeans with an upscale top, like a cashmere sweater
- Add some femininity with an eyelet or lace top
- Wear a chic, fitted blazer with your distressed mom jeans (also what I did below)
3. Mom Jeans Outfit Tip: Balance the oversized with the slim
Mom jeans tend to be a looser fit, and the lighter wash and heavier fabric tends to add bulk to your bottom half. Balance this out with a tighter fit on top.
Here are a few ways you can balance out the weight of mom jeans:
- Try a bodysuit (this is what I did below)
- Choose a closer fitting top, something that accentuates your figure
- A deeper V or scoop neck top will show some collarbone, which helps balance out the extra fabric on your lower half