If your kids are anything like mine, they produce a lot of artwork and never want you to throw it away. There are papers everywhere!! So I compiled them all in an easy and beautifully bound kids art book from Mixbook so we have the memories but not all the free floating paper. Check out how it turned out!
If you have a little artist like me, this is a great solution for all their drawings they won’t let you throw away.
About a year ago Fos got REALLY into drawing. He does Art for Kids hub drawings almost every day, colors tons of pages from our Rad Mail subscription, copies book covers, and draws things from his imagination constantly.
Because of this, we have lots and lots and lots of papers everywhere. And he doesn’t want me to throw any of them away.
So I decided instead of keeping all these free floating papers, I would photograph each of them and put them in a book!
Mixbook makes beautiful custom photo books and made this art book project so easy
Of course I turned to Mixbook, our favorite custom photo book company, to make a beautiful photo book filled with Foster’s art.
Mixbook makes it so easy to upload photos, choose a layout or make your own, and drag and drop the photos.
From start to finish this book took me about twenty minutes to make. And I can’t tell you how great it felt to throw away all those drawings afterward.
I plan to make a new artwork book for Foster every six months and create a series
Mixbook has several sizes of books, so you could make these into little booklets that you could keep on a shelf in their room.
My plan is to make a new artwork book every every six months. As he produces less artwork as he gets older, I may change the timeline here, but for now six months seems reasonable. I think it will be so fun to have a compilation of all his artwork in beautifully bound books!
Here’s a few quick tips to make this process easy
To make this easy and efficient for you, here’s a quick step by step of how I do this.
- Tell your child you’re making a photo book of all their artwork. Help them feel excited about all their artwork being in a book so they aren’t surprised when their artwork is thrown away!
- Take a photo on your phone every time they do a drawing. Lay it flat in good light and snap a picture. Crop it down to just the paper.
- Try some variation — have them hold their artwork up and take a picture of them with their drawing!
- Save all the photos in a folder on your phone.
- Toss the artwork (unless it’s something you want to frame, obviously).
- When you’re ready to make a book, all your photos will be ready to go in one place!
Mixbook is generously offering 50% off your first order, for all my readers through 5/30! Use code MERRICK319 at checkout.
This code works for all their cards and prints and photo books, so make your child an artbook OR blow up one of your child’s best drawings for the wall, OR order birth announcements for your new baby, OR whatever the heck you want!
Photos by Aubrey Stock
A huge thank you to Mixbook for partnering on this post