Are tall boots even in style anymore?? Let’s chat about it, and learn how to wear an outfit with boots so it feels modern and chic, not outdated.
Why the “before” outfit with boots needs improvements:
- There’s nothing wrong with wearing tall boots over jeans, like I did in this first outfit! It’s just a bit outdated. I’m sure this kind of outfit with boots will come back into full style at some point, but right now ankle boots are the “it” boot for casual jeans outfits, and knee high boots are mostly worn with dresses and skirts.
- Another issue with this outfit is the layering. The white tee underneath was a trendy thing 10-15 years ago and it creates a line right around your hips. For most women, that’s going to be one of the widest areas of your body, so having a bright white line around it just draws attention there. Don’t do it!
- The sweater is gorgeous, but it would be much better half tucked into a pair of jeans with ankle boots.
A few easy ways to improve your tall boot outfits
- If you need a warmer boot option than an ankle boot, choose an over the knee boot. These are super stylish and a very good, slimming tall boot option.
- If you want to stick with the knee high boot, try them in a modern way with a skirt or dress! Just remember, there should be a gap between the boot and skirt/dress if it’s short, or the skirt/dress should come significantly past the top of the boot if the skirt/dress is long.
- Since my boots are a bit heavy on my legs, we need to add balance to the outfit. A puff sleeve sweater is a perfect way to do that.
- With a tucked in sweater and high waisted skirt, my natural waist is defined. It’s amazing the difference in my body shape between the two outfits!
- Earrings always add some attention up toward my face too!
If you’re more of a visual person, here’s the same advice in action
Looking to add a pair of tall boots to your closet this season?
I’ve linked my tan tall boots below, plus a few other tall and over the knee boots.
Other outfits with boots to give you some inspiration
Why these outfits work:
- Outfit 1
- Tall hunter boots are definitely not trendy like they used to be. They’re heavy and clunky, and I much prefer a short pair. But in this outfit they absolutely work.
- I’ve balanced the heavy boots with a thick sweater.
- My waist is defined by tucking my sweater into my skirt.
- The gap between the boots and skirts is excellent.
- To keep me warm, I added black tights, but it also creates a straight leg line without any gaps, which is flattering and elongating!
- Outfit 2
- Here are over the knee boots that totally work with jeans! Keep your jeans very fitted so they create a non-bunchy leg line.
- The skinny jeans/boots are balanced out by an oversized top, but the legline is elongated with a half tuck
Why these outfits work:
- Outfit 3
- This outfit has over the knee boots as well! The denim is darker, so the boots blend in a bit more. This is totally fine! Even light wash jeans work well with over the knee boots.
- My shirt is half tucked and my waist is defined.
- The cardigan has a scoop hem so it’s flattering and you don’t get a leg line cut off by the cardigan hem.
- Outfit 4
- As I mentioned above, you can totally wear tall boots with longer skirts and dresses. Just make sure the hemline of your skirt is longer than the boots by at least a few inches. They should not hit at the same spot.
- My waist is defined by tucking in my skirt — this is good!
- I balanced out the boots with a darker, printed top, which draws attention there, rather than to the heavier boots.
Tall boots are definitely still in style. Just learn how to wear them in a modern way and you’ll look amazing.