I love wearing a cozy cardigan in the fall. But cardigan outfits can easily get frumpy! Here are a few tips and cardigan outfits to help you wear them well.
GREEN CARDIGAN | WHITE TEE | DARK WASH JEANS | WHITE SNEAKERS
BLUE POLKA DOT TOP | FELT FEDORA | SIMILAR ANKLE BOOTS
Why the “before” cardigan outfit needs improvements:
- The cardigan I’m wearing is the same in both photos. You can pretty much make these cardigan outfits look great if the rest of your outfit is great. But make sure the cardigan fits you well. Oversized cardigans are trendy, but they can easily be overwhelming to your body. So keep it mid-length and decently fitted.
- The tee underneath is boring and long. It cuts off my leg line and makes my waistline very low.
- White sneakers are my favorite in the summer, but with fall outfits white sneakers can be a little too bright.
- When layering under a jacket or a cardigan, a crew neck will never be the most flattering option. It’ll always going to make things look a little more constricted and closed off. A lower neckline is always going to be a better option.
A few easy ways to improve your cardigan outfits:
- Swap your boring tee for something a little nicer and more polished, like a blouse.
- The v-neck on the blouse opens up my neckline and is very flattering underneath a thick cardigan.
- Instead of a bright white sneaker, I did a tan ankle boot, which feels fall-ish and also elongates my leg line because it’s a similar color to my skin and gives kind of that “barefoot” look.
- A half-tuck of the blouse elongates my leg line as well because more of my leg is exposed.
- A hat is totally optional, but I like that it adds a fun accessory and brings some attention up toward my face. Earrings or a few necklaces have the same effect!
If you’re more of a visual person, here’s the same advice in action
Looking to add a cardigan to your closet this season?
I’ve linked the green one I’m wearing and a few others below!
Other fall cardigan outfits to give you some inspiration
Why these outfits work:
- This color block cardigan is long, but not too long and overwhelming. Plus the sleeves and shoulders fit nicely!
- My tee is tucked in underneath to create a nice full leg line
- Black ankle boots elongate my leg with a black pair of jeans
- Since the cardigan has the color block, I kept the rest of the outfit simple so it doesn’t compete with the cardigan.
- This mustard colored cardigan has a rounded hem, which can be super flattering. Be careful with shape in very thin cardigans because they can show every lump through and add bulk to your hip area. But with heavier cardigans, they’re great!
- The bright color of the cardigan is offset by a monochromatic top and jeans. This lets the attention go to the cardigan!
- The jeans are a perfect ankle length, and the pointed toe of the shoes elongates the leg line
- My tee is tucked in for maximum leg line – this is good!
Now go put on a cardigan and wear it well!
I’Ve never thought about the neck style when thiNking about the shirt Under a cardigan, that’s Brilliant!
Are sneakers out for Fall then?
A question about elongating the leg – i have long legs and a short Torso. I always feel like i look out of proportion with something tucked in – i’m always wishing i could elongate mY torso! Is that a good goal or would you still recommend the tuck?
Just wanted to say thank you for this series!! I’m often in the “this outfit isn’t working” but I can’t figure out why. Seeing clear “good” and “bad” outfits – with what specifically is or isn’t working – really helps.
This is so helpful! Thank You!