Outfits with jeans are a staple in my closet during the fall. Here’s how you can take any fall outfit with jeans from basic to amazing in just a few steps!
Why the “before” outfit with jeans needs improvements:
- This henley tee and pair of cropped jeans are both kind of fitted, kind of not. These pieces give me no shape, no balance, and nothing to catch the eye.
- With a pair of light wash jeans and a light gray tee, this outfit feels bland and uninteresting. We can do better!
- You can absolutely wear light wash jeans in the fall, but a cropped pair of light wash jeans feels very spring/summer. Let’s choose a more seasonally appropriate pair.
- I love a good pair of sneakers, but with nothing else going on in this outfit, this pair feels clunky with large shoelaces and draws all the attention to my feet.
A few easy ways to improve your jeans outfits for fall
- To create some balance in the outfit, choose a pair of skinny jeans and balance it out with an oversized top or sweater. Now we have some contrast and balance, and some shape!
- A dark wash pair of jeans feels much more fall-appropriate.
- Instead of the clunky sneakers, a pointed tan flat elongates my leg line and keeps the attention up toward my face, rather than at my feet.
- I talk a lot about what length of jean is most flattering. With flats, a jean that hits right above the ankle bone will be the most flattering! We want to see as much of your foot as possible, and not have bunching around the ankles.
If you’re more of a visual person, here’s the same advice in action
Looking for the perfect pair dark wash jeans?
I’ve linked some of my favorite pairs of dark wash jeans below! Also check out my tips for how your jeans should fit, right here.
Other fall outfits with jeans to give you some inspiration
Why these outfits work:
- Outfit 1
- Black jeans are a great jean choice for fall! I have a whole post on wearing them HERE.
- A black leather jacket works great here because it’s not leather on leather. Instead we’re doing denim on leather, even though they’re the same color.
- The striped tee and leopard flats add a pop of pattern and keep the all-black outfit interesting, and while the stripes draw attention up toward my face, the pointed flats elongate my leg line.
- Underneath the jacket, I have the tee tucked in to create a waistline – this is good!
- Outfit 2
- Colored denim isn’t as big anymore, but a deep, dark color is really appropriate and fun for fall.
- A plaid scarf adds some fun visual interest and draws attention up toward your face.
- The half tuck helps create a nice long leg line, and the dark boots (with a small stacked heel) help continue that long leg line because they’re a similar color to my pants.
Why these outfits work:
- Outfit 3
- These jeans are more of a mid dark rinse, and even with distressing they feel appropriate for fall. The length is good, hitting right at my ankle bone and creating a nice ankle gap. This is super flattering!
- The sneakers are sleek and modern and don’t stand out too much.
- My waist is defined underneath the jacket by tucking in my shirt – this is good!
- Outfit 4
- These dark jeans are a little long on me, so one cuff keeps them from getting bunched up around a taller pair of ankle boots
- The oversized sweater balances out the skinny jean, but my waist is defined by a half tuck of the sweater.
- Since the ankle boots have a bold print, I chose a bright red sweater to keep the attention up toward my face.
I know you’ll wear jeans this fall. Hopefully this helps you wear them better!