There’s an old rule about not pairing black and brown together in an outfit. As with most fashion “rules,” this one is completely wrong. You can totally pair them! Let me show you how and when it works.
Can you wear black and brown together? It’s a question I’ve gotten before from you guys, and since I styled this outfit without even thinking about the black/brown combo, I thought I’d address it here
Bottom line, 100% yes you can pair black and brown together.
Let’s talk about how to do it the right way and when it doesn’t work as well.
Honestly, anything goes, especially for women.
Fashion rules are meant to be broken. Anything, literally anything goes in 2023. So you can wear black and brown together any way you’d like.
But there are a few best practices tips.
Try these tips when pairing black and brown clothing together
- Keep your outfit neutral. Black and brown work best together when you skip any bold or bright colors and just do a mix of neutral hues.
- Focus more on the level of dressiness of your black/brown pieces, rather than the color combination. If you have a dressy black bag, choose a more dressy brown jacket. If your black shoes are more casual, choose a casual brown bag.
- If you’re nervous about pairing these two colors, start with a more subtle shade of brown like nude or beige.
- For men, specifically for workwear, shoes and belts should match. For women, this can be fudged a little bit because you can do nude or colored pumps with a brown or black belt.
- When it comes to bags, you don’t have to match the bag, belt, and shoes. Anything goes.
- A super easy way to integrate the colors seamlessly is to find a print with both colors, like leopard! Then a brown bag and black shoes easily makes sense.
I hope that helps you be more confident about wearing black and brown together!
Here’s a video with this advice in action: