I talk about basics over and over on the blog because they’re pieces that every woman should have in her closet. They’re the foundation of your wardrobe! Pieces that go with everything and can be worn multiple ways.
The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale just opened to the public last Friday, and it’s the best time to grab basics.
This look has four of my closet staples — a striped tee, a lightweight sweater, a great pair of jeans, and a pair of neutral ankle boots — all of which are on sale, and I want to share with you a few ways to wear each one!
This striped tee is only $18, and so comfortable. It runs big so size down — I’m wearing a size XS. It’s selling out fast, so I linked a few similar tees in the widget below! Here are a few ways to wear it.
- For every day: Knot the tee in the front and pair with jeans and sneakers or sandals. Add a baseball cap or topknot!
- When the weather is cooler: Layered under a sweater like I did here. You could also swap the sweater for a cardigan or jacket. Pair it with skinny jeans and tall boots or ankle boots.
- For church: Tucked into a high waisted skirt and toss on a pair of heels.
- For date night: Half tuck the tee into a pair of nice jeans and add some heels or stacked heel ankle boots. Finish the look with some delicate jewelry.
- For work: Tuck it into a pair of skinny trousers and finish the look with some flats.
This lightweight sweater is perfect for transitioning to fall, and I’m obsessed with this rust color! It also comes in a pretty blush and I’m wearing a size XS.
- For every day: This rust color would look amazing with white jeans, but you could also pair it with boyfriend jeans and loafers for a laid back look.
- For date night: Layer it under a leather or suede jacket and pair with black or dark jeans and flats.
- For cold days: Layer a patterned scarf over the top and wear with leather leggings and black ankle boots.
- For work: Wear it with a pencil skirt and heels.
- For church: Wear it half tucked into a pleated skirt with tall skinny ankle boots.
There is basically no wrong way to wear jeans. These are a great medium/dark pair with minor distressing so they’re easy to dress up or down. They’re TTS, a great material that doesn’t stretch out, and super comfortable. I’m wearing a size 26.
- For every day: wear them with sandals or sneakers and a basic tee.
- For date night: dress them up with a blouse and heels or a nice pair of flats or boots.
- For a casual day at work: pair them with a tucked in crisp white button down shirt and a fun pair of loafers.
- For colder weather: pair them with over the knee boots (to cover the knee holes) and a cozy sweater.
NEUTRAL ANKLE BOOTS
A good pair of ankle boots is a must have during the fall and winter. The slits on the side make these really flattering to your leg line, and the neutral color goes with everything. Also, it’s easy to Scotch Guard these kinds of boots so they don’t get ruined with the weather! These boots are true to size!
- During the Spring: Pair them with a short lightweight dress and a cropped jacket.
- During the summer: Try them with a flowy maxi dress for a festival feel.
- During the Fall: pair them with every dang thing in your closet. Jeans, dresses, skirts…everything. I mean it.
- During the winter. Scotch Guard those babies and wear them with leather leggings or black jeans, a cozy sweater, and a fitted pea coat.
I hope this gave you lots of good ideas to wear those basics! Snag yourself a few great ones from the sale while they’re still available – and hurry, cause sizes are going so fast. I shared more of my favorite basics in this post right here too!