Did you know that getting ready every day can be a huge part of self care? It can improve your mood, boost your self confidence, and improve your ability to focus and perform tasks. It’s true. Research backs it up, and I want to give you five more reasons to take that time for yourself every day.
Getting ready every day started with my mom’s example.
I grew up in a home where my mom got ready every day. In fact, she told me once that she never even missed a day of shaving her legs.
In regards to the leg shaving, I can’t say the same for myself. But getting dressed every day is engrained into me, and the older I get, the more I recognize how important it is for me, and what a difference it makes in my life.
I hear from a lot of you (especially in my Wearable Wardrobe Guide — which you can learn more about HERE if you haven’t signed up!) that you struggle to find the motivation to get dressed everyday. Especially if you’re a stay at home or work from home mom.
What’s the point of getting dressed if no one sees you but your dog, your kids, your husband, and maybe your babysitter?
Here are five reasons why it’s worth the effort to get ready every day.
- It starts your day off right. If I stay in pajamas or workout clothes til noon, I feel so much more lazy. I move more slowly, I’m less productive, and by the time I get ready, I’ve lost a huge part of my day. Getting up and getting ready first thing, long before you need to be anywhere, gets you moving and motivated.
- It’s an instant self esteem booster. We all know that sweat pants and old t-shirts are not flattering. And we all know that we feel more confident and pretty with a little mascara on and our hair done. A cute outfit, a little hair and makeup, and suddenly you feel like a new person. I’m also far less critical of my imperfections or shortcomings when I’m feeling confident and have spent time accentuating the good things!
- Taking care of yourself allows you to take care of others. Especially as a mom, it’s easy to put yourself last in the name of sacrifice and love. But you can’t draw water from an empty well, so make sure you’re taking some time to take care of yourself too. Sure, maybe you won’t see anyone except your kids all day long. Who cares? Do it for yourself because you are worth the effort, it’ll make you feel great, and it’ll let you be a better mom during the day. Also as a mom of little kids, I think it’s so great to model self care and self respect — my mom definitely did that for me!
- You’re always ready for the unexpected. You never know when someone’s going to unexpectedly drop by, or suddenly you have to run somewhere. It’s so nice to be ready for the day and be able to run out the door if needed, or answer the door without feeling completely embarrassed.
- It makes you feel, act, and perform better. It’s a proven fact that what you wear can improve your mood, your performance, and your focus. On days where I feel off or sick, taking a shower and putting on some makeup drastically makes me feel better. I find that I act more confident and am absolutely more focused and motivated when I’m dressed and ready for the day instead of staying in jammies all day. I found an interesting article about how dressing the part helped people in business negotiate deals, and doctors recall and perform their duties better, so it applies to everyone!
I’d love to know – do you guys get dressed and ready for the day every day? And do you believe it’s part of self care for you?
If you don’t, and you’re still doubtful, do an experiment. One whole week of getting dressed and ready for the day every day! I want to hear how it goes!