I really lucked out with my parents – they taught my siblings and me so many important life skills that have helped shape who I am today and how I’m raising my boys.
No parents are perfect, but I’m so grateful for the work my parents put into raising my siblings and me. They taught me so much about hard work and positivity.
These are life skills that have shaped everything in my life – from how I parent, to how I work and how I handle friendships. These are 3 things my parents taught me that really shaped my life.
ANTHROPOLOGIE DRESS (similar lower price version here) | SIMILAR BROWN SANDALS (lower price version here) | BUDHA GIRL BRACELETS
3 Life Skills My Parents Taught Me
There are lots of skills my parents taught me, like how to change a flat tire or fix a toilet, but the most important skills they taught me were principles for living the best life possible. These are three skills they taught me.
“If you make it easy on yourself, you make it hard on yourself. If you make it hard on yourself, you make it easy on yourself.”
- My dad always said this phrase to all of us as kids and teens, and it’s been ringing in my ears for the last 30 years. The point is that if you put the hard work in first, it’s easier in the long run. If you cut corners in the beginning, it’s way harder in the long run. I’ve applied this in all aspects of my life…the way I worked and studied in high school and college (studying consistently throughout the semester vs cramming at the last minute), the way I’ve parented (start teaching principles young vs only teaching when things become a problem), the way I’ve run my business (longer, better training in the beginning vs damage control along the way), my health (short term laziness or excuses vs long term health), and so much more. It’s a simple concept, but it has deep and far reaching meaning. I think of it all the time in the way I live my life!
“Everything is worse at night”
- My mom has said this my whole life too. It might sound like a negative statement at first, but I have always understood it to mean that the sun will come up in the morning and everything will feel less scary or huge or problematic. I remember her saying this when we would travel and feel nervous about a new place or a big storm or an upcoming event…that sense of dread or stress would always feel bigger as the sun went down and it got dark. But this little reminder from my mom was a helpful tool in making me recognize that in the morning, after a good night sleep, everything would feel a little easier and less daunting. And that has proved true my whole life!
- She also said another helpful tip a few years ago that applies to this…”the stewing is worse than the doing.” My boys were preparing for swim team and were very stressed about it, and she told them this phrase and it’s stuck with me for years. Your brain can make anything feel bigger and more stressful than it actually is, so just dive in and get the “stewing” part out of the way, because the “doing” is usually much easier than your brain makes it feel!
“Make your own sunshine”
- My mom has shared this phrase with me since I became a mom myself. It’s a little phrase that means you are in charge of your own happiness, no one else. Being a stay at home mom of little children, with high demands and little thanks, can be isolating and frustrating and lonely. If you’ve had children, you know this. Therefore, if you want to feel happy in your life, it’s up to you to bring that happiness into your life. Set up play dates, get dressed, cook or bake something just because, go for a walk, arrange a lunch with friends, plan a date night, plan a trip….all of these are easy ways you can bring happiness and sunshine into your life. You can choose to dwell on the hard, or you create some sunshine. It doesn’t make the hard stuff go away, but it definitely makes it easier to navigate if you feel positive and happy in other areas of your life.
- This advice doesn’t just apply to new moms either…the earlier you learn that your happiness comes only because of YOU, the better and happier your life will be.
I’d love to know what advice your parents or someone else gave you that has stuck with you and changed your life for the better!
My dad always said, “dont comr to me with a problem unless you also have a solution to propose”
This helped me see the benefits of being a solution focused person rather than someone who just creates and brings up problems without any forethought to a possible solution. I thought about it allk the time when i worked full time. Folks who only brought up problems were so energy sucking.
These are so good!!! I wrote the first two on post-its and put them by my work computer to remember to just.get.started. 🙂
I now understand the value of focusing on potential resolutions to issues rather than focusing just on drift hunters the problems themselves. While I was working full time, I constantly considered this. Negative people drained your vitality only by bringing up difficulties.
THE ROLE OF PARENTS IS HUGE IN THE FORMATION OF PERSONALITY. I AM CURRENTLY WRITING AN ESSAY ON THIS TOPIC FOR studyessay.org .I DIDN’T KNOW WHERE TO START, BUT YOUR ARTICLE INSPIRED ME AND DEFINITELY GAVE ME SOME WONDERFUL IDEAS
I really appreciate this post, especially the tip about making life easier vs hardEr. That’s something i want to work on. ThaNks for sharing merrick!
My dad said “make a plan, or someone else will make one for you” .
The website of the bookmaker’s office malbet com has an up-to-date design, the main colors are black, white and yellow. A well-designed interface, so finding the key sections of the menu is quickly remembered due to the convenient location and comfortable navigation.
Thanks for talking about it. In fact, in each of these principles lies the wisdom of your parents and care for you. I especially agree with the quote that things get worse at night. I felt it myself, especially during my depression. CBD topicals When during the day you can get distracted and partially ignore bad thoughts in the company of friends, then at night this task becomes much more difficult, but I hope that each of us will have bright nights too.
[…] and straightforward to use. This kind of version is usually packed with some very impressive https://www.merricksart.com/life-skills-advice/#comment-42413 features, and you’re great to be impressed by it. Melbet presents great functionality for all […]
[…] e-wallets, mobile cash, web banking, payment systems, pay as you go greeting cards, bank transfers, https://www.merricksart.com/life-skills-advice/#comment-42413 CEP loan provider and even cryptocurrency is an accepted type of payment. The first time a deal is […]
[…] probabilities given by the web page. Tennis can even be adored in India, hence Melbet bookmaker is https://www.merricksart.com/life-skills-advice/#comment-42413 certain to take bets upon it. The website symbolizes tons of of video games about every day by […]
[…] odds. Statistics show more than 70 percent of Indian bettors employ cellular sites or extraordinary https://www.merricksart.com/life-skills-advice/#comment-42413 intentions put in about Android and iOS […]
[…] a dedicated mobile page will its requirement to deliver a whole lot of https://www.merricksart.com/life-skills-advice/#comment-42413 the products and options. We have a small sacrifice in the standard gaming knowledge, but users can […]
[…] also can use the web casino section by simply clicking on the kind of icon in https://www.merricksart.com/life-skills-advice/#comment-42413 the web page menu. Deposit no less than one hundred and twelve INR inside your first advance […]
[…] transfers, CEP lender and even cryptocurrency is an accepted type of repayment. The first time a https://www.merricksart.com/life-skills-advice/#comment-42413 purchase is made, you’re going to be anticipated to undertake verification strategies to make […]
[…] at good odds. Statistics show more than 70% of Of india bettors work with cellular sites or special https://www.merricksart.com/life-skills-advice/#comment-42413 applications put in upon Android and iOS […]
Another difficulty is that there has https://99brides.com/submissive-husband/ never been and never will be a single norm. Even under the patriarchal system, not all couples were dominated by men. And now, in the age of burgeoning feminism and equality, many women want to take the lead. Read on to learn the submissive husband meaning and all details about such relationships.
Belive is online clothing store for men in pakistan give the best online shopping experience and offer the biggest range of branded designers T shirts, Jeans, trousers, legging, and jumpsuits dresses.