Denim jackets are one of the most versatile layering pieces. I wear mine all the time! But, how long should a denim jacket be? I’ll cover that question and give tips for styling different cuts.
How Long Should a Denim Jacket Be?
I wear my denim jackets all the time. Notice I said jackets (plural) because I own a few different cuts, crops and colors of denim jackets. Depending on what you are wearing, the ideal denim jacket length will vary. I’ll cover different styles and lengths today!
What is the perfect length of denim jacket?
Out of the three denim jackets that I own, there is one that I wear the very most…my Gap light wash slightly cropped one. I bought it probably 12 years ago and have worn it and washed it hundreds of times since then.
Here are the reasons I choose this length and cut the most often:
- The cut is really flattering with curved seams on the bodice…this gives me some shape under a non-fitted jacket
- slim cut sleeves that can be cuffed or not
- The perfect not-too-cropped but not-too-long length
It’s a great length that works for wearing with jeans, skirts, dresses, and leggings.
Check out this perfect denim jacket in different outfits
Why jacket length makes a difference
If this jacket was cropped, it would create odd proportions, making my upper body look very short.
If the jacket was longer, it would create a longer and blockier upper half with a shortened leg line.
Look at the difference in length below:
What if you have a shorter jacket already?
- I’d recommend styling it only with skirts and dresses. It’ll be the most flattering option for those to keep your body from feeling out of proportion.
- Avoid pairing it with pants and leggings, and definitely don’t wear it with long tops that stick out significantly from under the jacket.
What if you have a longer jacket already?
- Wear it with your leggings and jeans outfits.
- Avoid wearing it with skirts and dresses that have swing or a-line shapes. It’ll cut right at a wide part of the dress and make you look very boxy and wide.
What should you look for in a denim jacket?
- The shoulders should fit well with the shoulder seam hitting at the high point of the shoulder
- The sleeves should fit well with room for a layer underneath but not too loose
- The cuffs should hit just below your wrist bone
- Look for curved seams on the bodice
- The length should hit you around your hip bones (not your side hips at the top of your thigh, but the top of your pelvic bones)
What’s better? Dark or light or medium wash?
This is totally your call! I have dark, medium, and light wash denim jackets and I wear my light wash the most, but if you prefer a different wash, go for that!
I’ll be sharing the lengths of jackets in different outfits on Get Dressed With Merrick tonight on Instagram –make sure you’re following along to see it!
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: