A few weeks ago, Kayla posted on facebook that she was purging her closet and had two huge bins full of clothes that she planned to take to Goodwill (in fact, she just started a blog about reworking her closet — go check it out and give her some love!)
As soon as I saw this post, I commented and asked if I could come dig through the bins. Now, I wouldn’t do this to just anyone, but Kayla is one of my best friends and so I knew she wouldn’t care…and of course, she didn’t. She even hung on to the bins for an extra week until I got over there.
And that’s how I found this beauty:
The tricky thing about this dress was that there were two layers: the lining and the lace. They were only attached at the side-zipper and the neckline, so I had to do all the adjustments separately, on each layer.
I started at the ends of the sleeves and sewed from there, down to the bottom of my bust, taking in a few inches. Then I adjusted the neckline by doing a big dart from the top of the neck (in the back) down my back a few inches. After that, I adjusted the width of the skirt by doing a tapering seam from the waistline down to the hem, which gave it a more fitted/cocktail feel. And finally, I hemmed both the lining and the lace to my desired length.
I’m thrilled with how it turned out, and plan to wear it to every fancy event that I ever get invited to (as long as I don’t gain one pound, or have another baby and need to nurse…cause I made this dress fit like a GLOVE).