Today’s Get Dressed with Merrick is all about how to wear a skirt or dress and sneakers. It’s easier than you think – just follow these few tips.
How to wear a skirt or dress and sneakers
Wearing a skirt or dress and sneakers is one of my favorite spring and summer outfit combinations. It’s easier than you think – there are just a few things to consider!
1. Low cut sneakers are the most flattering
the more you can see of your leg line and your ankle, the more flattering the overall look will be.
2. The slimmer your sneakers, the better
A wider sneaker will make your feet look bigger and flatter. An almond shaped toe on your sneaker is going to be more flattering than a rounded toe. So look for those longer, slimmer sneakers. That’s not to say that round sneakers are out of the question, just be aware how they make your foot look.
3. White sneakers are going to be the most versatile option
If you need one good sneaker recommendation, THIS ECCO SNEAKER is the one I’d choose. It’s super comfortable, nice and low cut, and has a slim cut. The toe is a little more rounded than almond, but it’s still very flattering and easy to wear.
4. Make sure your outfit has one other casual piece
Sneakers are casual by nature, and dresses and skirts are dressier by nature. If you choose a dressier skirt or dress with sneakers, make sure there’s another element to your outfit that brings down the dressiness level.
- example 1: Wear a casual light wash denim jacket over a dressy dress so the sneakers make sense in the outfit
- example 2: Wear a graphic tee with your dressy skirt to bring down the dressy level when pairing it with sneakers.
Here are a few good sneaker options if you’re shopping for some
Outfits I shared in the Get Dressed with Merrick Instagram stories