So many self care articles preach bubble baths and pedicures, but self care is so much more than that for me. These are ten things I do to give myself the care I really need.
Over the last few years I’ve seen so many articles about self care, and how important it is to have that “me time.”
I’m in complete agreement with that statement, but often the ideas for self care are not super helpful for me.
Maybe you feel the same.
So I want to share ten things I do regularly to take care of myself, and are good “emergency” cures when I’m having an off day and need some extra TLC.
Ten self help activities that actually make your life better.
Every one of these things makes me feel fulfilled, less worried, more happy, and give me more purpose in my life. Try them out for yourself — you deserve it!
1. Be creative. Humans are meant to create, so sitting down and spending a few hours creating something can bring you so much happiness, fulfillment, and purpose. I love to sew, color with my kids, or make an elaborate meal with a decorated table.
2. Learn something new. Increase your education; learn, and grow. I don’t necessarily mean go to college (although definitely do that if you’d like!), I mean read a book to learn something new, take a class, watch a few hours of youtube videos to learn a new skill…these are just three out of the hundreds of ways you can stretch your brain.
3. Make time for quiet meditation or reading time, studying scriptures, or praying. Regardless of what you believe in, taking time to connect to a higher power (for me that’s God) gives you new perspective like nothing else can.
4. Unplug. Gosh, couldn’t we all use this? Spending a whole day away from my phone always gives me a renewed sense of purpose and direction. It’s so important to do regularly — I wish I was better at doing it! But I sometimes leave my phone at home during a Saturday family outing so I’m not tempted to get on my phone. Philip always has his phone, so we have one for a quick picture, if we want, or in case of an emergency. It’s been a great option for me!
5. Work on my confidence. Gaining self confidence is a domino effect — it improves your motivation and drive, it improves your relationships, it gives you passion and purpose! How do you work on your confidence you ask? The Life Coach School Podcast is one of my favorites and she has a handful of great episodes about self confidence. Check out all of them HERE! I also really love the Brooke Snow Podcast.
6. Let go of a bad relationship. We probably all have someone in our lives that is just plain old tough, manipulative, or toxic in some way, and it’s not a relationship that serves you in anyway anymore. Get rid of it. Slowly ease out of it, and even if you see each other once in a while, you can create that space and release them from your mental space. It’s worth every bit of “break up” stress, because walking away from a bad friendship or relationship is so important.
7. Go to bed early and get a good night sleep. Sometimes I feel like the world is caving in on me and I’m stressed out of my mind. And then I realize that I just feel that way because I haven’t slept enough in the past week. Shut everything down at 9:30pm at just go to bed. Everything is less overwhelming after a good night’s sleep.
8. Set goals, long term and short term. Speaking of overwhelm, goals are a great way I keep myself from being overwhelming. Breaking each goal down by category and timeline makes it so much more attainable, and gives me a clear path to reach my big goals. I shared some of my 2021 goals (and the printable goal sheet I use) right here.
9. Laugh and take time to be carefree. My kids help me with this more than anything. They ask me to run through the sprinklers in the backyard, or play catch with the football together. We laugh and play, and it’s a great reminder that life is so much better than when we laugh and play our way through it.
10. Exercise every day. I’ve made this a huge priority in my life the past few years, and it’s made a huge difference in my happiness. I love to listen to podcasts and audiobooks while I run. I shared my favorite podcasts to listen to while working out RIGHT HERE. I’m telling you, releasing endorphins while getting motivation or learning something new is more therapeutic than anything I’ve ever experienced. I come home everyday with a clear head and tons of motivation. It’s the best way to start my day — this is why I never miss a day!
I’d love to know what your self care looks like, or if you’ll be trying out any of these ideas!