I love setting goals in the new year! These are eight of my goals for 2021, and my mindset about goal setting even if we have another tough year.
I’m setting my goals for 2021
Happy New year!! I can’t believe it’s a new year – goodbye, 2020. Today I wanted to share a few of my goals for 2021.
I love setting goals for the new year, do you? I really try to set realistic goals, and choose things that are both fun and help improve and stretch myself.
I have a free printable goal sheet!
If you want to set goals, or help your family set goals for 2021, check out my free goal chart printable in THIS POST.
I chose goals that I can accomplish no matter what happens this year
Honestly, it’s hard to say if this year will allow us to do all the things we wish we could do, but as I’ve worked on this goal list, I’ve come up with goals that I can accomplish regardless of what 2021 may throw our way.
These are eight of my goals for 2021
1. Learn 6 new pieces on the piano.
- This was one of my goals last year, and I only learned three pieces. But re-learning how to play brought me so much joy and this year I’m determined to keep it up.
2. 1-hour mom dates with the boys every week
- Since COVID hit, I’ve been really bad about our weekly one hour mom dates, and I can tell that my boys and I need them back! So I’m recommitting to make them happen every single week. It’s not a big time commitment, and it makes such a difference in our relationship and in their behavior.
3. Read 10 books aloud with B
- As B gets older (he’s turning 11 this year), I want to make sure I maintain a really good relationship with him. He LOVES to read, so I’m setting aside time with him every week to read together, just him and me. I want to have that one on one time with him beyond our mom date, and make sure that I stay close to him as he enters the tween phase. Our first book is going to be Harry Potter #4 and I’m so excited.
4. Do 100 push-ups
- I have done the “girl” push-ups for years, but finally in the last month I’ve been working on push-ups on my feet. I’ve made my way up to 31, and my goal is 100 consecutive. Currently I take breaks every ten push-ups or so.
5. Be better at following the news
- Philip reads and listens to the news literally all day long, and he is so smart. He knows everything that’s going on all the time, and can carry a conversation with anyone about anything because he knows so much about current events and the world. I don’t think I can ever be on his level (he has an insane memory), but I want to be better at listening to the news so I can talk to him about it more often. I love our conversations about current issues and events, and I want to be better at that. One of my favorite sources is SmartHer News, but I’d love other recommendations.
6. Have lunch with friends once a month
- I love having lunch with friends and I want to make my friendships a priority this year. A lunch once a month isn’t much of a commitment, but it keeps me happy and our relationships close.
7. Start meditating
- I’ve heard for years about the benefits of meditation, and a few years ago I actually did it for a few months consecutively and saw major improvements in my ability to focus. But I got out of the practice. This year I’m going to add it back into my daily routine and stick to it. If you have recommendations for good apps (I used the free version of Headspace last time, but since then the free version is much more limited) or programs, I’m all ears!
8. Less sugar for our family
- There’s always so much sugar in the house from October through December, and my kids come to expect it every dang day. It’s time for a major detox. Typically we just have dessert on Friday (our family movie night) and on Sunday after Sunday dinner, but lately it’s become almost every night and it’s time to make some changes. I think I’m going to do Nancy Anderson’s 30 Day Slim Down program (I’ve done in a few times before and LOVE it) during January, just to jumpstart my year. It’s always helpful when I cut back on sugar because I don’t make or buy sugary things so everyone in the house is healthier.
What goals do you have for 2021? Come tell me on my morning instagram post or in the comments below!
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS
Thanks for the news source. I’ll have to check it out. TBH, I avoid the news. journalism seems to have taken a turn for the worst. It’s so sensationalized and leaves me with so many unanswered questions. I opened our local news app last night and quickly closed it after scrolling through a bounch of crime/murder headlines. I’ll be interested if other posts their favorite sources.
Yikes, I swear I had nice paragraph formatting in my comment, not sure what happened!
I aLso like the skimm! It’s the TLDR verSion of the newS. When i was reading it CONSISTENTLY i felt so smart And up to date on What was happening in the worlD.
Thank you for the rec!
Thank you For SHARING your reSolutions. Im glad to hear you say yoU’re picking things that are attainable regardless of the year ahead. It is so important we set ourselves up to be successful!
Im not A huge news follower either, but have found theSkimm to be a great Source for world news! I get a daily email With highlights presented in a fun and DIGESTIBLE way, and there are links To read inTo more details if i want And have the time.
For the news, i SUBSCRIBE to A daily news summary from cbc- i am canaDian so this may not help!
For meditation, I’ve been using The smiling mind app. It waS developed by researchers in Australia, and is 100% free! They have different courses, and even progrAms for kids.
very cool! Thank you for the recommendations!
I’ve been an NPR junkie for most of my life. My dad and a college roommate listened every morning and it stuck. I know they lean left on political things, but i greatly appreciate the varietY of stories covered and how they are presented. I have it on all the tMe in the car and often know about things before my husband.
I was wanting to start meditating this last year, and read the book “Stress Less, accomplish more: meditation for extraordinary performance” and it was very good!! Emily fletcher does an amazing job of explaining how and why to meditate, as well as the difference between meditating and mindfulness. She points out that most apps are actually doing mindfulness instead of mediation, and she has a technique that includes both. If you’re wanting to learn how to meditate, I highly recommend her book!!
Thank you so much for the recommendations!
Ive used theskimm email newsletter for a few years, and love it to have a quick snapshot of whats going on in the world
Ha! I’m trying to wAtch and listen to less news these days. It is all so negative and depressing. I came to the coNclusion that Knowing less may be better for my sanity than knowing more
haha I totally get that! It’s been a rough year for news.
Katie couric has a daily news email called “wake up call” that is great. It’s a quick read in my inbox every morning and makes me feel like i know what’s going on in the world.
ooh thank you!
I Like the flip side emails – each day they cover an issue and give quotes from News soUrces on both sides of the issue. It helps me Look at the big pIcture!
thank you for the recommendation!
I love the calm app for meditation. I just started using the small seed still app and have really enjoyed it. I struggle with anxiety and paying for the apps HAS BEEN well worth it for me.
I’m so glad to hear about these recommendations!
Highly recommend The Skimm for news! Daily emails with current news, written in an easy-to-read format, with links to multiple, credible news sources. I’ve loved it the last few years. I love that I always have an idea of what current events are, and with the linked articles they include, like being able to read up on more if needed/when I have time.
appreciate the recommendation!
I like Relax Pro (I think it’s called that, it was 2.99 tho but the free version’s good too)
thank you so much!
I’m not sure if my previous question went through. If so, I apologize for the duplication. The link for the time blocking is not working. can you provide another link please? Thank you!