I love setting goals in the new year! These are eight of my goals for 2021, and my mindset about goal setting even if we have another tough year.
I’m setting my goals for 2021
Happy New year!! I can’t believe it’s a new year – goodbye, 2020. Today I wanted to share a few of my goals for 2021.
I love setting goals for the new year, do you? I really try to set realistic goals, and choose things that are both fun and help improve and stretch myself.
I have a free printable goal sheet!
If you want to set goals, or help your family set goals for 2021, check out my free goal chart printable in THIS POST.
I chose goals that I can accomplish no matter what happens this year
Honestly, it’s hard to say if this year will allow us to do all the things we wish we could do, but as I’ve worked on this goal list, I’ve come up with goals that I can accomplish regardless of what 2021 may throw our way.
These are eight of my goals for 2021
1. Learn 6 new pieces on the piano.
- This was one of my goals last year, and I only learned three pieces. But re-learning how to play brought me so much joy and this year I’m determined to keep it up.
2. 1-hour mom dates with the boys every week
- Since COVID hit, I’ve been really bad about our weekly one hour mom dates, and I can tell that my boys and I need them back! So I’m recommitting to make them happen every single week. It’s not a big time commitment, and it makes such a difference in our relationship and in their behavior.
3. Read 10 books aloud with B
- As B gets older (he’s turning 11 this year), I want to make sure I maintain a really good relationship with him. He LOVES to read, so I’m setting aside time with him every week to read together, just him and me. I want to have that one on one time with him beyond our mom date, and make sure that I stay close to him as he enters the tween phase. Our first book is going to be Harry Potter #4 and I’m so excited.
4. Do 100 push-ups
- I have done the “girl” push-ups for years, but finally in the last month I’ve been working on push-ups on my feet. I’ve made my way up to 31, and my goal is 100 consecutive. Currently I take breaks every ten push-ups or so.
5. Be better at following the news
- Philip reads and listens to the news literally all day long, and he is so smart. He knows everything that’s going on all the time, and can carry a conversation with anyone about anything because he knows so much about current events and the world. I don’t think I can ever be on his level (he has an insane memory), but I want to be better at listening to the news so I can talk to him about it more often. I love our conversations about current issues and events, and I want to be better at that. One of my favorite sources is SmartHer News, but I’d love other recommendations.
6. Have lunch with friends once a month
- I love having lunch with friends and I want to make my friendships a priority this year. A lunch once a month isn’t much of a commitment, but it keeps me happy and our relationships close.
7. Start meditating
- I’ve heard for years about the benefits of meditation, and a few years ago I actually did it for a few months consecutively and saw major improvements in my ability to focus. But I got out of the practice. This year I’m going to add it back into my daily routine and stick to it. If you have recommendations for good apps (I used the free version of Headspace last time, but since then the free version is much more limited) or programs, I’m all ears!
8. Less sugar for our family
- There’s always so much sugar in the house from October through December, and my kids come to expect it every dang day. It’s time for a major detox. Typically we just have dessert on Friday (our family movie night) and on Sunday after Sunday dinner, but lately it’s become almost every night and it’s time to make some changes. I think I’m going to do Nancy Anderson’s 30 Day Slim Down program (I’ve done in a few times before and LOVE it) during January, just to jumpstart my year. It’s always helpful when I cut back on sugar because I don’t make or buy sugary things so everyone in the house is healthier.
What goals do you have for 2021? Come tell me on my morning instagram post or in the comments below!
IF YOU LIKED THIS POST, YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS