I love reading to my boys at night before they go to bed. It’s a perfect nightly ritual for us. Here are 10 books we’ve read lately.
10 read aloud books we’ve read lately
I read aloud to my boys every night before bed. It’s one of my all time favorite things and the best way for me to end the day with my children.
It’s been a while since I share some of the books that we’ve been reading, so here are a few favorites we’ve read in the last year or so.
- We read the entire series all in a row, in order, and loved them. Some of the books were a little more fast paced than others, but in general they were fantastic and I was glad to have read these classics!
- This was our fall book last year around Halloween. I had heard about it for ages but didn’t really know what it was about. Honestly, I thought it was pretty dumb. Don’t super recommend.
- This is one of my dad’s FAVORITE books. He’s all about efficiency and learning, so this book was one he read over and over to us when we were young. My boys loved it, and it was so fun to re-read it after all those years.
- I hadn’t read this one in years either and we loved it! It has that sweet, slow, old fashioned feel, and is just such a classic. We watched the 1993 movie afterward as a family and it was just perfect.
- I don’t think I’d ever read this one as a child, but it’s about a horse named Black Beauty and his adventures and misadventures as he is passed from one owner to another – some kind, some careless. It’s all through the perspective of the horse and was very sweet. My boys really enjoyed this one too.
- Oh, Anne! I had to introduce my children to Anne, and they just loved her. She’s spunky and spirited and sweet and just so lovable. We still need to watch the Megan Follows movie, but when I looked I couldn’t find where it was available to stream. Let me know if you know where to watch it!
- We did a campaign with this book a few months ago and I finally read the whole book to the boys. It was such a fun and sweet story that follows Cinderella’s magical mouse, Delphine. It’s book 1 of a series, which I didn’t realize until we were almost to the end of the book, so now we have to wait until book 2 comes out to get some closure…it ends on a cliff hanger!
- My sister had this book on her 2021 summer reading guide, so I gave it a go with the boys. It was much different than the old fashioned books we’d been reading previously (like Black Beauty and Anne of Green Gables), and they loved it. It’s about a kid who discovers a genie and is granted any wish, but has to fulfill a quest and has to face the consequences of each wish. It’s cute and fast paced and funny.
- After we read Wishmakers, we had to read book 2 — Wishbreakers! This one was a little heavier, but still a cute book and my boys loved it.
- Now we’re reading The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. We’re about 3/4 of the way through and although I read it as a young girl, I cannot remember any of it. My boys are really enjoying this one, with tales of young Charlotte on a ship sailing from England to America by herself with a crew of rough and dangerous men.