It took me years to figure this out, but just in the last year or so, I’ve realized that my closet needs be made up of good “pieces” — items of clothing that are versatile and can be worn in many ways with many other pieces. If you have good pieces, the outfits possibilities are endless. Now, not everything in my closet is completely versatile, but much of it now is and I’m well on my way to having a closet that I’m really, really happy with. Getting dressed everyday is now like a game, figuring out how to wear things differently than I ever have, or pairing unexpected pieces together.
Today I want to show you one of the most versatile items in my closet, a piece that all of you probably have too — the Little Black Dress.
I have several LBD’s, some fancy, some more casual. This one is kind of in the middle, but I can change the entire look of the dress, either very casual or very dressy, and all very not-boring, with just a few key pieces. Check it out.
Here’s the dress by itself (cute, but snoooooze):
|dress: downeast basics|
Now let’s change it up with five very different looks:
1. Casual striped t-shirt: h&m, knee high socks: target, boots: target
2. Sophisticated blue button up: target, blazer: f21, nude heels: kohl’s, glasses: old & embarrassing (remind me to never wear my glasses in a photo again…)
3. Funky cardigan: cozy, leopard scarf: made by me, tights: kohl’s, mary jane wedges: target
4. Feminine lace skirt: made by me, polka dot tie blouse: jcpenney, heels: forever young shoes, red lips: sephora
5. Dressy velvet blazer: anthropologie, fishnet tights: target, heels: forever young shoes, earrings: gift from Philip
All of the added clothing items are pretty standard kinds of pieces that most of you probably have sitting in your closet right now. Wearing them by themselves can be pretty boring — learning how to put them together and creating different interesting looks is how you express your personality through your clothing and have fun with your clothes; and that’s the name of the game. Now go start playing!
Oh, p.s. Kohls.com has generously provided my readers with several discount codes for next week, so if you’re now in need of a few fantastic new pieces, head on over to their site and check out their awesome post-Christmas deals (and seriously, they have great stuff).
Extra 20% Off Kohls.com
Promo code: MISTLETOE
Extra 15% Off Kohls.com
Promo Code: SLED15
Extra 20% Off Kohls.com with a $100 purchase
Promo Code: SLED20