Storage Bin info at the bottom of the post!
A couple of years ago I was at the park with some friends and one of my friend’s kids fell down in some water, soaking his socks and pants. My friend was completely unfazed, and just walked over to her car, pulled out a giant tupperware full of stuff, and grabbed him a new pair of pants and socks.
It was her Car Emergency Kit. WHAT?! Genius.
A few days after that, I put together my car emergency kit, and just recently I updated it so I wanted to share. It’s one of my best mom hacks!
Everyone’s Emergency Kits will look slightly different, depending on their needs. But I can’t tell you how many times I’ve walked out of the house in a dress and forgot to put lotion on, or someone fell down at the park and I needed a bandaid and some Neosporin, or someone’s melting down and I need a quick snack but don’t want to stop, or we get caught in the rain or the cold weather.
I use something in this box at least once a week.
Here’s what I keep in mine:
- A change of clothes for all your kids (I usually use just a free t-shirt and a pair of pj or basketball shorts. Also don’t forget underwear!)
- A spare jacket (I put a large one in that any of my children can wear)
- Non Perishable Snacks
- I have Ritz Crackers, Apple Sauce Squeezies, Fruit Snacks, and Dum-Dum suckers, but I change it up as we use them up. *If you live somewhere with a very hot climate, make sure you choose snacks that won’t get cooked!
- Extra Socks (one pair for each kid)
- Hand Sanitizer
- Hair Gel/Hair Spray/Bobby Pins/Comb/Hair Tie
- Car Spray (I love THIS ONE from Tubby Todd. It freshens my car up instantly when I have to change a diaper in the trunk)
- Feminine products (literally has saved me so many times)
- Large Water Bottle
- First Aid Kit
- Blanket (I like to keep a small quilt in there in case of a spur of the moment picnic, a diaper change in the trunk, or someone’s cold and needs a blanket)
Here’s the LARGE STORAGE CONTAINER I use.
These are the SMALL POLKA DOT BINS inside the storage container.
I also keep THIS CRATE in the back to store my reusable grocery bags (we have to pay for disposable grocery bags in California) so they’re not floating all around the car.
(also, because you guys ask all the time, I drive an Infiniti QX60)
This is one of my best mom hacks, and hopefully it helps some of you. If you already have one in your car, tell me what I’m missing in mine!