It’s time for another Modern Girl Halloween costume! So far this week Leanne and I have shared Tinkerbell, Mary Poppins, a Grecian Goddess, and today I’m excited to share a costume for Kate Middleton!
I think Kate will go down as one of the most iconic women of our generation. Her style is always so classic, timeless, and effortlessly chic. So when I was coming up with a costume for our Intermediate Course shift dress, Kate was an obvious choice.
Our Intermediate videos cover more advanced sewing skills like darts, sleeves, necklines, and pockets, and the final video will show you exactly how to make this shift dress, perfect for your Kate Middleton costume. Then add a DIY fascinator (since Kate is never seen without one) and some heels, and your costume is done!
Materials you’ll need for the Fascinator Tutorial:
– 1 sheet stiffened felt
– 1 sheet regular felt
– hot glue
– silk flower
1. Out of the stiffened felt, cut an oval, and two strips of felt (the length of the tiny rectangle, and about 1 inch wide).
Out of regular felt, cut a circle and a strip of fabric (same dimensions as the other ones). Cut notches into the ends of the strip.
2. Take the circle of fabric and cut a slit along the radius of the circle.
3. Fold the circle in on itself.
4. Now pop the circle out, as shown, and glue in place. Now you have a little decorative piece to put on your fascinator.
With the strip of regular felt, fold it up so it is shaped like a prize ribbon. Glue in place and set aside.
Next, time to make the hat itself.
1. Glue the short ends of your two stiffened felt strips together with hot glue.
2. Now carefully glue that long strip to the circumference of the oval.
3. Your strips will be too long, so determine how short they need to be and cut accordingly.
4. Now glue the short ends of the strips together.
Now glue your silk flower, and your other felt accessories to the hat. You could even add a little mesh as a veil.
All you need now is a handsome prince and you’re ready for any Halloween party!