One of my favorite things to talk about on the blog is up-and-coming trends. I love discovering what they are and sharing them with you, as well as teaching you how to add them to your closet and style them with the existing pieces in your closet.
But after a recent post about my favorite trends, someone over on social media asked if I’d do a post about trends we should ditch, since that’s what is currently clogging up her closet.
The thing about this question is that while it’s a great one, it’s also really hard to answer because fashion is so cyclical. We’re seeing a complete revival of the 70’s right now, and also a lot of 90’s inspired fashion is popular right now (can’t say I saw the choker trend coming back, but here we are). So while I’ll share a few of the trends that I think we should say no to forever, this obviously isn’t a guarantee that they won’t come back at some point.
- Colored Jeans
- These were so popular a few years ago, but the the trend was short lived. We’re still seeing colorful trousers and shorts, which I like, but let’s just say no to a rainbow of colored jeans (I can say that because I literally owned a pair in every single color). There are still some more neutral colors sticking around, like olive, gray, and light pink and blue.
- You can still purchase brightly colored jeans (like these ones here), but let’s just agree to stay away from the really bright ones since it will take you right back to 2010. Take out those bright purple ones, and especially the red ones, and let’s just move on.
- Here’s the thing about almost all cap sleeves — they are flattering on no one. The trend might come and go over the years, but you can personally stay away from it and get rid of any cap sleeve pieces in your closet. They hit at the widest part of your arm, so they make everyone’s shoulders look wider and arms look fatter. Stick to either a complete sleeveless top, or a longer short sleeve.
- I still see a little bit of this trend here and there, but it’s not as dramatic as when it was super popular. Any skirts or dresses that you have that are knee length in the front and maxi in the back need to go. A subtle length difference is fine, but the “mullet dress” should never be revived.
- This is actually a great opportunity to do a little DIY project — don’t throw away the dress…just chop off the back to even out the length, then hem the entire dress. Easy peasy!
- Let’s just say no to them forever, okay? If you’re closet has a pair and you’re waiting to be skinny enough to wear them without a major muffin top, don’t bother. They give even the skinniest of girls muffin tops, and they’re just a bad idea in general. Get them out of here and let’s never see them again.
- I had my fair share of these necklaces, and although I think they’re cute, and statement necklaces are coming back in a big way right now, I don’t think these will be in the statement necklace mix. If you’re holding on to a few, you can safely say goodbye to them.
- We’re seeing all sorts of shoe trends emerging right now, but one that I’m pretty sure we should never see again (heaven help us if we do) is the square toed shoe. They’re boxy and unflattering and make your toes look like they’ve been chopped off. Stick with the classic silhouette’s when it comes to shoes — almond toe and pointed toe — since those will have longevity.
- You remember all the rhinestones on your back pockets, and sometimes even along the edges of the front? It’s time for them to go.
Can you think of any more? Or are you on the fence about something in your closet?
Leave a comment below and tell me what it is and we can decide if it’s a trend worth ditching!