The thing about momiforms is that they’re typically pretty basic. With all the things you have on your plate as a mom, getting ready can often get put on the back burner, and I hear all the time that all you have time for is jeans and a t-shirt before you run out the door.
The good news is that jeans and a t-shirt are a good foundation for a great outfit. There’s a little trick I learned a few years ago that takes this super simple kind of outfit and instantly makes it better. It’s called “The Third Piece.”
Your shirt and pants are pieces #1 and #2, so adding a third piece is basically an outfit completer. This piece doesn’t have to be crazy or fussy — just something to make the outfit feel finished and more than just jeans and a t-shirt.
Here’s a few good examples of easy third pieces you can add to your outfit:
1. Jacket. This field jacket is one of my favorites, and a great casual option for every day wear. I also wear my leather jacket all the time to add a little edge and structure to a basic outfit, and my denim jacket when I’m not wearing blue jeans (try it instead with leather leggings, black denim, or a dress).
2. Vest. For the warmer days, a vest is a good option since it adds a layer without too much heat. I love this fur lined one for fall and winter, but a denim vest, crocheted vest (I have this one and this one, or utility vest are also great options I wear all the time.
4. Scarf. They’re classic, simple, and there are a million ways to wear them. I did a post with 4 ways to tie them right here so use that if you’re stumped!
5. Button up tied around your waist. This is one of my favorite casual looks. I typically do it with a plaid or chambray button up, but you can experiment with other button ups in your closet (or jackets). Although make sure you choose something very lightweight so you don’t add a bunch of bulk to your backside!
6. Cardigan. Find one with some visual interest, like a pattern or a flowy drape.
7. Statement Necklace. There are so many great ones out there right now, and I love the element of glam that they add to a simple outfit.
8. Great shoes, an unexpected bag, and distressed denim. Sometimes it’s too hot or too much to add another layer. Try a great pair of distressed jeans that will add visual interest and dimension to your look. Then add a fun bag and pair of shoes, and suddenly jeans and a t-shirt make an amazing simple statement.