Distressed, patterned, and even glittered sneakers are very in right now. I’m going to break down how to wear these trendy sneakers.
Do you own any trendy sneakers? These are sneakers beyond just the plain white, black or brown leather or canvased shoes. Trendy sneakers have dimensions, distressing, colors, or glitter.
Today I’ll break down how to wear fashion sneakers without looking like a trendy teenager.
How to Wear Trendy Sneakers
1. Pair them with classic pieces
- Fashion sneakers tend to feel youthful, so a great way to make your outfit feel age appropriate is to wear more classic pieces with those sneakers. Try crisp button up shirts with your jeans, a chic sweater instead of a hoodie, or a casual dress instead of sweats.
2. Try them with dresses
- Don’t be afraid of trying dresses with sneakers! They are a really fun combo that’s actually easier to wear than you think! Try them with sweater dresses, t-shirt dresses, or more casual nice dresses (like cotton or denim or eyelet). If the dress is super dressy, skip the sneakers and stick to heels.
3. Show some ankle
- When you’re wearing your fashion sneakers with jeans and pants and leggings, make sure you’re showing at least 1″ of bare ankle. This is most flattering for your leg line and helps your legs from looking stumpy.
4. Pay attention to the shape of the sneakers
- Not all fashion sneakers are created equal. Some are more athletic shaped. Some have a round toe, others have an almond toe. Some have a lower cut on the ankle, some have a platform sole, some have a taller tongue….they are all different shapes and widths and styles. All of these variations will play into how they look with your outfits, so play around with them and see what works best for each outfit. I’ll be breaking down all of these things in Get Dressed With Merrick tonight on my Instagram page, and showing you lots of examples. Don’t miss it!
See all this advice in action in this YouTube Video:
Other everyday outfits with fashion sneakers
Here are a bunch of outfits with different fashion sneakers — hopefully they give you some inspiration for your sneaker outfits!