Hearty Meatball Soup
This meatball soup has been a staple in our house for 14 years! We found it in food magazine when we were engaged, and have been making it ever since.
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can sliced stewed tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 8 oz small shell pasta
Making the meatballs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the meatball ingredients until well combined. Shape into 1" meatballs.
- Place meatballs on a foil lined baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes or until fully cooked through.
Making the soup
- In a soup pot, heat about 1 TB of olive oil until shimmering. Add the carrots and saute for 2 minutes until slightly browned.
- Add broth, beans, stewed tomatoes (I always drain the tomato juice into the soup pot and then chop the tomatoes before adding them, just so they're not huge chunks in the soup), and italian seasoning.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the shell pasta and simmer for 10 minutes (or longer) until the pasta is tender.
- Add the meatballs to the soup and mix to combine. Serve immediately.